SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. What's going on here? Is this just a bulb issue or could it be the ballast?

fullsizeoutput_3b55.jpg

fyU5sC76QSiuWsxr58sQ8A.jpg

·
Registered
371 Posts
Replace the bulb it’s worn out. I would replace the one on the opposite side too since it won’t be far behind. My XC60 and my old BMW did the same thing when the bulbs needed replacing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
371 Posts
The best pace to buy bulbs is theretrofitsource.com — I use the Osram night breaker laser bulbs in my GTI and they are amazing. Much better visibility at night compared to OEM.

·
Registered
371 Posts
~6-7 years use; the low beams must be used a lot then.
Well they turn on every time the car is started as the DRL. My XC60 needed the low beams replaced at 61k miles. Of course 1,000 miles away from being covered under warranty lol

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The best pace to buy bulbs is theretrofitsource.com — I use the Osram night breaker laser bulbs in my GTI and they are amazing. Much better visibility at night compared to OEM.

How is the color of the night breakers? are they "white" enough?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The stock are 4300K. H as anyone used 6000K and how blue are those?

·
Registered
371 Posts
I wouldn’t use the 6000k. 5500 is as high as I would go. I currently run 5000k in my GTI and I think they are about perfect. The higher the number the more blue they are and less visibility you’ll get on the road.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I wouldn’t use the 6000k. 5500 is as high as I would go. I currently run 5000k in my GTI and I think they are about perfect. The higher the number the more blue they are and less visibility you’ll get on the road.
+1
More importantly, make sure the HID bulb you're getting is not aftermarket nor OE fake (there are convincing fakes of popular OE bulbs). Within the OE options, the higher Kelvin (i.e. more blue) is probably along Osram's CBI ("Cool Blue Intense"), which should be in the 6000K range. While I personally wouldn't go that route, the CBI is probably a better choice for a 6000K than generic/aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not a tough replacement. Had to due it recently. I did find that you have to make sure the two posts holding the fixture in are locked in tight.
My lights are on all the time so they do wear out.
I went genuine own from fcp. All good.

“Your mileage may vary”

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Fairly easy install. Bought the Osram CBB's from Lightwerktz... they are fairly local to me so I dropped into their garage.

qHGVbA1gTniadV6nyiyhFg.jpg

fullsizeoutput_3b6d.jpg

fullsizeoutput_3b6c.jpg

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How do you recycle old HID bulbs ? I don't just want to throw them out

·
Registered
371 Posts
How do you recycle old HID bulbs ? I don't just want to throw them out
I just take them whenever my county has a tox drop day. The bulbs have trace amounts of mercury in them so you can’t just throw them out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts