SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ballast is fully corroded and out,

Tried soaking it in Alcohol to remove all extra moisture however...to no avail...It's gone.

Contacted George with hopes of picking one up in Nashua in the AM however, one of two options appeal to me.

1. Replace the ballast

2. DDM Slim Kit

Which is more practical? I anticipate tossing down $150 or so on the Ballast......Hoping...

Blah but for now here....Everyone enjoy my corroded Ballast.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I've got a set of perfectly working OEM ballasts available, I pulled them when I switched to the DDM slims myself 2 years ago. interested?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Freon is excellent for removing corrosion from electronics. Find someone with a license and see if it helps before dropping that kind of dough.

Edit: Don't know if it's still allowed anyway, used it in the Navy back in the 80s.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I've got a set of perfectly working OEM ballasts available, I pulled them when I switched to the DDM slims myself 2 years ago. interested?
I'm more interested in the fact you're running 55w main lights. What did you do to get aftermarket ballasts wired up?

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
George already offered a used ballast and has been MORE than accommodating to my terrible schedule so that is the option that i'm going with but for real guys any gains with the DDM or VIVA slim kits?

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'm more interested in the fact you're running 55w main lights. What did you do to get aftermarket ballasts wired up?
had to chop off one of the volvo connectors to get the positive and negative leads and wire them to the ballast. managed to stow the slim kit in the original housing. I've had some trouble with both lights activating at the same time tho, but notnsure if that's due to anwiring issue or defective parts.

it takes a bit of custom work but def doable, and worthwhile IMO

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
had to chop off one of the volvo connectors to get the positive and negative leads and wire them to the ballast. managed to stow the slim kit in the original housing. I've had some trouble with both lights activating at the same time tho, but notnsure if that's due to anwiring issue or defective parts.

it takes a bit of custom work but def doable, and worthwhile IMO

Interesting, have you managed to resolve the issue or they just activate at different times and still work properly? Noticable improvement I take it?

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
I've had some trouble with both lights activating at the same time tho, but notnsure if that's due to anwiring issue or defective parts.
I've had the same issue with the DDM Slim Raptor kit even in fogs as they both would not fire at the same time, I've swapped them to the regular 55W and those work fine without startup issues. I think the DDM slim kits are a bit more finicky. I would look into a quality slim kit like the morimoto slim ballasts or the Denzo ones if I were replacing the headlight ballasts. A bit more expensive than DDMs, but probably worth it.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Interesting, have you managed to resolve the issue or they just activate at different times and still work properly? Noticable improvement I take it?

To date, no I haven't resolved it- however I've been running another kit of slims for my fogs (also 55w) and they've been perfect. I haven't taken the time yet to try swapping components to verify if something is defective though.

I plan on doing this soon tho since they've been getting worse and are a real pain now.

In response to exactly how they've been failing, they would initially both start within a second maybe 60%, then maybe 30% only one would come on, then I'd have to cycle them again to fix. But recently, both of those %s are much lower. As the weather gets warmer ill dig into it further, but it really shouldn't be an unsolveable problem.

And running the 55w doesn't get codes (except when one doesn't light, lol)

·
Registered
919 Posts
I've had the same issue with the DDM Slim Raptor kit even in fogs as they both would not fire at the same time, I've swapped them to the regular 55W and those work fine without startup issues. I think the DDM slim kits are a bit more finicky. I would look into a quality slim kit like the morimoto slim ballasts or the Denzo ones if I were replacing the headlight ballasts. A bit more expensive than DDMs, but probably worth it.

That's good to see that you've had trouble too, lol- makes it more likely its defective components than a fancy elec issue.

But where did you mount the Raptors? I put my slims for the fogs on the bumper for ease of disassembly, but room was limited - if they weren't in just the right place it would make the bumper cover bulge.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
That's good to see that you've had trouble too, lol- makes it more likely its defective components than a fancy elec issue.

But where did you mount the Raptors? I put my slims for the fogs on the bumper for ease of disassembly, but room was limited - if they weren't in just the right place it would make the bumper cover bulge.
For the fogs, I actually strapped and taped them down right on-top of the fog light housing, right above the grille. There's about an inch clearance under the bumper chassis frame, I also positioned the wiring harness towards the opening of the grille. This way, I can easily access them by pulling out the front grilles if I ever need to check the connections.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Here's a quick picture of where the area is I'm talking about.
Not my picture or else I would show the ballasts and how they are positioned.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Did you replace your fog light fuses with higher wattage ones? I found my HID kit in the fogs would blow my 7.5amp fog lamp fuse when they first ignited, and upgraded to 10amps each with no problems.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Did you replace your fog light fuses with higher wattage ones? I found my HID kit in the fogs would blow my 7.5amp fog lamp fuse when they first ignited, and upgraded to 10amps each with no problems.
Oh yeah, I've used the stock 15 amp fuse (is it not 15?? 7.5x2?), and even bumped them up to 20 amps. This never solved the ballast startup firing issue, until I swapped to the Raptor 55W non-Slim ballasts which have no issues with the stock fuse.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Oh yeah, I've used the stock 15 amp fuse (is it not 15?? 7.5x2?), and even bumped them up to 20 amps. This never solved the ballast startup firing issue, until I swapped to the Raptor 55W non-Slim ballasts which have no issues with the stock fuse.
Sounds like a ballast issue then. I've seen ballasts go bad if they have been exposed to the elements for extended periods of time (sitting in a pool of water in bumper, etc.)
Just realized you have an 04. In 05+, they made individual 7.5amp fuses for each fog lamp, whereas on 04 there was a single fuse for both.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Sounds like a ballast issue then. I've seen ballasts go bad if they have been exposed to the elements for extended periods of time (sitting in a pool of water in bumper, etc.)
Just realized you have an 04. In 05+, they made individual 7.5amp fuses for each fog lamp, whereas on 04 there was a single fuse for both.
Interesting! Wonder why Volvo would do that?
I'm not sure what causes the ballasts to go bad, I literally had them working after the install for about 2 days until this issue surfaced. I personally think that the DDM Slim ballasts have manufacturing issues.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Here's a quick picture of where the area is I'm talking about.
Not my picture or else I would show the ballasts and how they are positioned.

thanks for the pic, when I openup the bumper to do my troubleshooting, ill be sureto move the ballasts there as that looks like a good location.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts