SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening! I just purchased a 06 S40, and I am unterested in installing an HID kit, since it does
have projectors. I am looking at a ds2 from the same supplier I have for my previous vehicles. My question being, do I need a relay harness, or is it plug and play? Any DIY's or tips on installing a kit. I am going with the "slim" ballast kit, I am trying to have the install as incognito and clean as possible. I am new to Volvo, moving forward past VW's, so any help would be appreciated!

thanks!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Good evening! I just purchased a 06 S40, and I am unterested in installing an HID kit, since it does
have projectors. I am looking at a ds2 from the same supplier I have for my previous vehicles. My question being, do I need a relay harness, or is it plug and play? Any DIY's or tips on installing a kit. I am going with the "slim" ballast kit, I am trying to have the install as incognito and clean as possible. I am new to Volvo, moving forward past VW's, so any help would be appreciated!

thanks!
All you going to need is this This which pretty much allows you to trick the computer into thinking that there is normal amperage being drawn by the bulb. If you dont install these resistors you will get a message on your info screen saying your low beam bulbs are out and they will most likely flicker.

To install them its kinda straight forward, you remove the headlight by pulling out the long silver pin behind the headlight and working the headlight assembly out. There is no screws to be removed. The rest is drilling the small 1inch hole in the bulb cover in the back of the headlight and connecting the wires. You can find DIY in the archives on here. And Also you need H11 type bulbs. These are good quality and many Volvo owners have used their product.. H11

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for all the info shadowlord!! that is exactly what I was looking for. A few more questions for you, does the resistors plug right into the power source coming from the car, or are they tied somewhere into the HID wiring? (if that makes sense).
Also, where can I source fog light assemblies for my S40? It does not have any currently, and would love you install them. If you could point me towards a link for the DIY for the HIDs or Fogs, it would be greatly appreciated!!

THANKS AGAIN

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thanks for all the info shadowlord!! that is exactly what I was looking for. A few more questions for you, does the resistors plug right into the power source coming from the car, or are they tied somewhere into the HID wiring? (if that makes sense).
Also, where can I source fog light assemblies for my S40? It does not have any currently, and would love you install them. If you could point me towards a link for the DIY for the HIDs or Fogs, it would be greatly appreciated!!

THANKS AGAIN
The resistor are nice because they plug in into Balasts (HID wiring) which i believe all have universal connectors so these resistors will work with most HID kits. Fogs your best bet is to look at junkyards.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Fog lights will need to be sources through the dealer, it's a kit which also includes the switch and will need a SW download to install the application.

You can also go with a retrofit which is a true D2S setup like oem verses the plug and play kits.
TRS E46 retrofit

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So other then the dealer and junk yards, theres no chance of getting fog light assemblies?

And sounds good, thanks what I will order for the HID setup.

I did retrofits on my vw, but I am more then happy with the projectors on the car now

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Woah look who crawled out of his hole, havent seen u post in awhile how u been?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Haha I still get subscription emails every once in a while when someone posts in my LED threads, and I read through page 1 for old time sake. Doing well, 40's still rolling though she needs new brakes and rubber. Hows the new job working out? </totally ot>

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Awesome! I really love it. Plus with all the new work from SpaceX and NASA for the current and future Mars missions we are getting busy and working on some cool stuff.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would it still be an issue if my DRL's were not de activated, but i turned on my running lights instead of the headlights each time i drove the car during the day? I would like to eventually get my DRLs deactivated, but for the time being, could I do this and be fine?

thanks

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've heard alot of different reviews on price of deactivation of DRL's . Some say $53 all the way to $147.. Any other expieriences?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Not first hand yet. I belive someone had the software number recently on here, then it's shop time. 150 is flat rediculous for the search for the SW and plug in that takes just a few min.

And yes to the link. DDM has them as well depending if you go through them. If I'm not mistaken they are the same products

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not first hand yet. I belive someone had the software number recently on here, then it's shop time. 150 is flat rediculous for the search for the SW and plug in that takes just a few min.

And yes to the link. DDM has them as well depending if you go through them. If I'm not mistaken they are the same products
Thanks for the response. I was wondering, for the time being, could I install the HIDs, and turn off my headlights during the day time, in place of deleting the DRLs? thanks

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
ya know i always run my lights in the "ON" positions or pointing to 12 o'clock what ever, and have wondered the same thing. personally i dont feel comfortable with out doing so. maybe someone can chime in on this one

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea im really curious too. I called 3 dealers today around my area (Allentown, PA) and they all said that they couldnt do it. Found one near philly that said they can do it, they just dont know how much itll cost. I am planning on running the BOW harness, and turning off my light every time I drive it during the day.. Are my wiper motors in danger then?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts