SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, have you seen this website http://www.xenonshop.com ? I just found the link and it looks pretty interesting. It says there is a cross reference to replace bulbs in the 850, and they use Phillips HID bulbs, so this isn't a purple bulb conversion, but real HIDs.

We're going to be launching Project 854 R shortly, and I'm seriously considering this to some extent, though I have a few reservations and or thoughts on it.

First, they seem to have HID capability for the high beams, low beams and foglights. That'd be expensive to do all of that, and I don't really think anything more than the low beams will be necessary for the car.

The R's foglights are weak, but with HIDs that doesn't really matter. I've driven cars with them, and they REALLY make a difference.

Second issue is DRLs. With DRLs the HIDs will be on all of the time, and I have reservations about running such expensive bulbs 24/7.

Last is how the beams will exit the stock housings. These housings weren't designed for HID bulbs, though I expect the light to go out in a similar fashion, i.e. not up and blinding oncoming traffic.

Though the highbeams on our R kick butt, the low beams are less than adequate for our needs, so I think this is the way we'll go.

This kit, with Phillips components, seems pretty high quality, and as far as I can tell, the closest thing we'll get to a factory finish.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have factory xenons on my audi, but there are a couple people on the audiworld.com board that have done the xenon shop conversions and been quite happy...

In canada, Audis have their parking loghts and fogs as DRLs... works nicely... but for the volvo may require some wiring...

there are a number of happy xenonshop people.

___
01 Audi A4 Avant QMSX
99 C70 Vert

·
Registered
528 Posts
George -

Seems to me that you could disable the DRLs to save burn time when you didn't think it neccessary. That little screw by the light switch exists on the car in question doesn't it?

Man, that is one Rock and Roll site! It just woke my daughter up. I can't figure out how to tell if they have a kit for the '01 V70 there. They just list 99-. Well, I can't wait to hear other's experiences.

- Darell

1 - 5 of 5 Posts