SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I would post this here as well, that way anyone else who may have done this can help. Its not important that you have an 850 I suppose, I just would like to know anyones experience with converting there headlights with a HID kit. Im refering to real Hids of course, I have played around with the bulbs for years now, I like em and all, but I want real ouput, none of this kitty cat footen crap I have been doing, hehe. I was thinking of going with the E-code lenses and then getting a conversion kit. Is there anything to look for in the kit, any recomendable brands, any ones to stay away from? I was told by a local performance shop that some of the early conversion kits required intense modifications of the housing along with using cheap unreliable ballasts that would burn up. He told me that new ones dont have this problem, even the cheaper affordable ones. I have been looking at the ones available from Autotoys, they seem to have the most complete line of Hids I have seen, they have both a 6000k and 8000K set. The 6000K set is available in blue or purple look, and costs a bit under 400 dollars. Then for a bit over 400 dollars I can get the 8000K kit with Hella ballasts. One thing I dont get is this Color Temperature stuff, how can something have either a blue or purple look but both have the same 6000K rating. I thought the rating was infact the color, I thought thats what Color temperature meant. I also dont understand this 8000K stuff, shouldnt that be nearing the UltraViolot range, I guess not that bad, but isnt that beyond the point of White light. I guess I dont really understand colortemperature in relationship to the color spectrum. Thanks.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Re: HID conversion (Red Rocket)

Really, you can find the kit for a lesser price on ebay, with the Hella/Bosche/Phillips ballasts. I just saw one kit, a 6000K conversion, go for $359 the other day. I should've grabbed it for my pops.

I need to find that seller again. That'd be a source for a group buy.

<edit> That was easy, here's the guy's site: misterjung.com

[Modified by javadoc, 10:44 AM 11-16-2002]

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Re: HID conversion (javadoc)

Scott,

That is a really cool/informative website. I will keep that one bookmarked. It sounds like a good product. $379 shipped is a pretty nice deal IMHO.

-Drew

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: HID conversion ([email protected])

quote:

Scott,

That is a really cool/informative website. I will keep that one bookmarked. It sounds like a good product. $379 shipped is a pretty nice deal IMHO.

-Drew
Yes it is! Wow...I am really interested in the 6000K kit...I am just leery about the seller. Does anyone have any experience with him? What about the quality of the kit? I have never seen HID kits that use the base of the halogen (existing) lighting. I know HELLA has a very good name in Europe but...

Kai? Johann? Any opinions on this?

Yannis

·
Registered
625 Posts
Re: HID conversion (GrecianVolvo)

There are quite a few kits now that uses the same base as the original bulbs. Direct plug in.

Sounds pretty good, I just want to know who made the bulbs for this kit.

Maybe we can get a group buy going?

$379 is a great price, tho I would probably wait for it to drop to $300 before I get it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Re: HID conversion (xtremepsionic)

That's just it, who knows what bulbs these guys are using. For a few that I saw on E-bay, the bulb was blue, and that's not what you want. Phillips bulbs are German made, and it looks like some of these in-expensive (cheap) kits use taiwanese bulbs. In adddition, a few of them looked like they had starters. That's pretty old stuff they got there. The new ballasts don't need starters or at least they have what they need inside of them.

Its cheap because the ballasts are an older design, and the bulbs are of questionable quality.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Re: HID conversion (Red Rocket)

You're correct.. there are two different types, one's w/ igniters in the ballasts, and kits w/ ballasts and separate igniters. I believe the Hella ballasts have the integrated igniters.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Re: HID conversion (xtremepsionic)

Mine is getting shipped out latest on Friday by Autolamps (www.autolamps-online.com).
I went through two sets of HID kits (Yes, the cheap kinds). For that kind of money, I should've just bought the good kit outright with some money left.
Words from the wise, skip the crap and get yourself the real thing (meaning, good ballast aka Hella, and definitely good bulbs aka Philips or Osram). It'll cost you more at first but eventually it'll pay itself and save you the stress .

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: HID conversion (mike_c70)

Well, the question remains unanswered:

Does this guy's kit contain material that is good? Is his kit OK, containing a Hella ballast?

Yannis

·
Registered
230 Posts
Re: HID conversion (GrecianVolvo)

His ballast looks like what other companies use: http://www.suvlights.com

I think it's a ballast made for Europe (maybe Denmark E4), but it should be just fine?!

He seems to know his stuff and answers quite a few quiestions on the site.

I guess if someone has the time to contact him about his bulbs. Brand and such.. Osram, Phillips Ultinon? Also is his H7 return wire on the top or bottom, and which way do we want it?! Bottom?

And it sounds like a few of us may be interested if its closer to $300 for 600K, so maybe a mini group buy?

One note with pay/pal, are you protected with your credit card company still, or since its a third party would you be SOL if you had a dispute?

[Modified by Red Rocket, 6:21 PM 11-18-2002]

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: HID conversion (mike_c70)

That deal does seem pretty decent, I do know that the ones I was looking at was for a similar price and used Hella ballasts. I look at it this way, the bulbs arent cheap, but they are cheaper than the whole kit, and if I can get a kit for 3-400 dollars and replace the bulbs at a later date, then I will be ok, however not particularly happy about it.

Now this is what I was told, though I dont know to what extent this is true. I was told that everyone producing ballasts in the early days of Hid had reliability problems, everybody, and the ballasts would go. I dot know that my fathers A8 with Hid lights from many years back had three sets of ballasts go in the first two years. They were covored under warranty, but still, that is testimant to how even Hell was having problems for a while. what I have since been told is that these early ones are no more, that now even the cheap companies have begun making much more reliable ballasts. I was told that if the kit uses the German ballasts that I can be assured it is of good quality. As for the bulbs, I was told a few things about these. First is that the bulbs, regardless of quality, should last a very long time, but not so if the ballasts are cheap. I was told that cheap ballasts cause the bulbs to go early, however good ballasts with these cheaper bulbs seem to work ok. I also noticed that AutoToys will cover the setup under a warranty, I believe it was 3 years. I contacted them and what they said was that if I tell them how I will be isntalling these, am very careful not to touch the bulbs, and the bulbs burn out within that first 3 years but not within the first day, they will cover it. I think this guys sight also offered a warranty. However, if, regardless of brand, these cheaper kits are all going to be warranty hell, then I wont bother. I probably wont bother at all for that matter, I dont want to spend 5 or 600 dollars on these at the moment, I just thought for a few hundered less, it was a good deal, Im not sure. Also, I have heard good things about the AutoToys kits from others who have used them, anyone familiar with this company knows there prestigeous clientel, and those that I know have used them in some very exotic cars, and liked them very much. I know of one guy who owns a ferrari F355-if he lived near me I would be begging to drive it, and he replaced his lights with the hids, well he had AutoToys do it, and found the system to be great, he has had this system for a little less than 2 years now. I guess the one major problem is that I was told that the bad ones of old are no more, but there is no time test to prove this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: HID conversion (pj's 850)

hmm..i don't really knwo the point of actually having a real HID kit installed for it is so expensive and the fact you can get any coloured halogen bulbs for a way cheaper price. on my bmw now i have 2 white halogens with xenon gas charged halogen headlamps(<--this wasn't very good..still too yellowish) and the main beam are 2 superwhite little blue-ish colour halogen bulbs...and i mean they look the same as HIDs on japanese cars. They will never look like actual xenon headlamps because the way light comes out from actualy xenon lights are different. But if you only want HID, i dont' see a point of spending so much in buying the kit while you can just get the same thing for a much cheaper price which has the same effect. Anyway can anyone please answer my question posted in the 440/460 section? I have asked this in many forums and no one seems to know what it is!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: HID conversion (smg2)

Because its not even close to the same effect. I mean, have you ever seen a real hid system up close, or driven with one. How about the conversions. I have seen japanese cars with conversions, some look good some dont. I dont have a japanese car, I have a european car with now E-Spec lenses. I have seen Volvo 850's with this exact conversion, and the difference is night and day. I have tried every type of Halogen bulb under the sun, I have spent as much money and more replacing bulbs as compared to the cost of a HID system. The HID system is as bright as a 150 watt halogen bulb, yet it only draws 35 watts. I dont want to attemp retrofitting 150 watt bulbs in my car, so HID it is. I live in an area were night driving is necassary, and often on unlit streets. I often end up driving on country roads, in the hills, etc. and having HID's would be a major nicety. My father and mother both have cars with HID lights in them, and I much prefer there cars to mine, when it comes to headlights. If I can get there headlights in my car, I will, and at 400 dollars or less, I dont think its that expensive. Not considering the fact that you shouldnt need to replace bulbs or ballasts for the life of the car, practicly.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Re: HID conversion (pj's 850)

Touche, I have the Cheepy Xenon bulbs and I know they can't hold a candle to the HID conversions. For anyone who does a reasonable length commute on unlit roads HIDs are worth every penny. I bought my bulbs just for the colour really, I do 95% of my driving under street lamps also.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Re: HID conversion (Spearzy)

/agreed

Before switching to HIDs, I tried using those Xenon gas charged bulbs and they really don't cut it. I actually even burned out a cheapie pair of bulbs before giving up. As for sheer looks, you really have to get inside a car with HIDs for you will notice a difference then. Standing outside the car may not be noticable. I was a real skeptic before spending the money and purchasing a set. It's true, if you can get it for under $400, it may not be that bad of a deal but still buyer beware.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: HID conversion (volvo5spd)

Yeah, I love my dads two BMW's with the HIDS, they are awsome on those dark country roads. Im sure some of the greatness is the actual design of the reflector and projection lens, but I know the Hid part has something to do with it. His Z3 doesnt have the Hids but does have a changed light set with projectors similar to that of the X5 and 330. The beam isnt nearly as nice, it doesnt project out as far ,its not as even, it doesnt have that nice cutoff point. I think the Volvo's have a really good even dispersion. The reflectors seem to be well designed. So many "Cool Cars" with "Cool" Looking headlight reflectors have really bad light output. VW's and Honda's seem to have the worst that I have seen. Neons arent any good either. However the Volvo's is very good, very even, good depth and width. I think simply more focused light output would only be better, be icing on the cake.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts