SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Re: HID Conversion Kits...... (My Lex)

Sorry to burst your bubble but those are K2 kits and you paid way too much for them. I got my K2 kit (first HID set) for $330.00 shipped. That one got scrapped due to an accident but I started having problems with them. My second K2 kit had problems galore. One of the ballasts failed so I had to get a new one, then I find out that one of the starters failed. I had all kinds of problems with that kit, I tossed it and am waiting for my kit from autolamps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: HID Conversion Kits...... (mike_c70)

Mike,

They don't use the separate starters and ballasts. Their new 8000K system uses the new Hella ballasts from Germany and Japanese made bulbs. not the old Korean ones. This system is awesome!

·
Registered
710 Posts

Well, I know next to nothing about the value of a certain HID kit over another, but that website looks like crap. I don't know about the version for high speed internet users, but the dial-up version is just plain awful. I sure hope that no one got paid to make that thing. :D

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: HID Conversion Kits...... (FMonk)

quote:

Well, I know next to nothing about the value of a certain HID kit over another, but that website looks like crap. I don't know about the version for high speed internet users, but the dial-up version is just plain awful. I sure hope that no one got paid to make that thing. :D
Same, for high speed connectins. Too much hype, for that site, and no content.

Yannis

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: HID Conversion Kits...... (samulsoon_0503)

quote:

OK, please don't laugh too much at me. But, what exactly are HID headlights? I have seen references to this several places in the forums.
WHy would we laugh at you? You are not driving a SAAB, are you? http://********************/smile/emsmilep.gif

HID=High Intensity Discharge lights. There is a thread somwhere where Drew made up an article about the nature of xenon (a.k.a. HID) lights. The lightbulb does not have a filament like a halogen bulb would. It is filled with xenon which is a noble gas and an electrode ingites the gas therefore creating an arc and producing a brighter light (about 3 times brighter than halogen) with less energy used (15W vs. the usual 55W requirement of the halogen bulb). Some HIDs are more blue than others based on the color temperature which is measured in Kelvin degrees (K). The higher K, the light becomes more blue/violet. The color temperature is usually raised (or lowered) by the amount and type of metals used inside the bulb. I think they are sodium halides or whatever. Perhaps someone who is an expert in this can add on his/her two cents.

Yannis

·
Registered
530 Posts
Re: HID Conversion Kits...... (GrecianVolvo)

No, I am not driving a Saab. Currently, only Volvos. http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif Thank you for the explanation - that helps. So, are these lights better simply because they are brighter? Or are they better also because they illuminate at a different frequency? I ask that because of the discussions about HID and deer (avoidance).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: HID Conversion Kits...... (samulsoon_0503)

Regardless of what other guys think of the website, I found they have a great FAQ section to explain the principles behind HID. If you mouse over their products section and click on HID FAQ's there is a full explanation. Checkit out at http://www.hidfactory.com. http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Re: HID Conversion Kits...... (Faraaz23)

I'm getting my 6000K from autolamps (it's still in transit, express though http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif ). I decided to dish out the cash for a good one as I blew two previous kits. Both are essentially K2 kits with different labeling on each one. The two old kits I have had a separata ballast and starter, and it was a pain to get them working. On one kit, I had a ballast and bulb fail, and on the second one, a starter. Two much hassle. I say you get what you pay for an I learned my lesson the hard way twice.
As I don't have the kit, I can tell you what the color output is but it should be the same as the other kits I had (when they worked). It started off light blue and turned into a bright white. The light ouput with ecodes is awesome. I had a bimmer driver look at me because I drowned his HIDs on the road! http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif Also, autolamps is going to give me the FET harness once they come ine, so I don't have to worry about relays and stuff.

[Modified by mike_c70, 1:33 PM 12-5-2002]

·
Registered
155 Posts

Hey Mike,
Have you installed your kit from Autolamps yet?? I am planning on purchasing a kit from them as well. Just haven't decided where to draw power from under the hood. Please post some pictures of the install! TIA!

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Re: HID Conversion Kits...... (MyNewT5)

No, not yet. I just received the kit on Friday. They had a delay in making the bulbs so there was a 1 week delay or so. But they shipped it express and threw in two free bluevision bulbs (for my highbeams http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif).
Anyways, I'm going to have to e-mail them tomorrow about the kit though. The return wire on the HID bulbs is facing up (with the tab being up). As far as I know and according to the Lighting FAQ, the return wire should be facing down. I'm a little hesitant to have the return wire facing up since it might block some usable light and then cast a shadow in my beam pattern. I need to clarify that with them. If everything checks out the I'll install them. (I need to ask them also if I can install and see if I see that ghost image before I return it). And oh yeah, the two kits that I wasted money on, on both kits, the return wire is facing down. Since I dished out a lot of money on this kit, I want this done right. I'll let you know.

What do you mean "where to draw power from"? You mean, for the HIDs? They get power straight through the battery. I'm also planning on doing an extensive write-up as well so it might take a little while for pics and such, but it'll come.

·
Registered
155 Posts

Thanks Mike! What I meant about the battery connection is that since my S60's (and presuming C70 as well) battery is located in the trunk, where did you get the feed from? Did you connect it to the alternator, fuse box, etc??
Did you get a satisfactory answer from Autolamps as to why they would ship you bulbs with the return rod on top??

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Re: HID Conversion Kits...... (MyNewT5)

My battery is located in the engine bay, not the trunk. If yours is in the trunk you need to ask Kai where he got his power from (he has HIDs as well). Yeah, got a response from autolamps. Basically, the answer is that there isn't a right or wrong for which way the return wire goes. However, they told me to go ahead and try them out, and if I'm unhappy with them (ghosting), I can return them and get bulbs with the return wire facing down.
However, today I ran into a big problem. My driver's side headlight is all screwed up. I took the whole front of the car apart to find a rattle (ended up finding it), but in the process, I think I might have screwed up the kink in my beam ( I have e-code lenses), so I need to figure out what the hell I did wrong. I hope it's nothing. But hopefull I can get all of it installed this weekend (golf tournament Saturday) but if not definitely some time this year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts