SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I have an 2006 Volvo XC90 withOUT stock hids. I just today tried to install an HID Kit on my volvo I have installed many HID kits on many other cars in the past with no issues. But my volvo is not liking the HIDs.

The issue. After installing the HIDs with the ballast I turned the car on and the hids come on for 2 seconds and turned off, and I get the Blown bulb error. I tried adding the capacitor mod to the wiring and same issue hids turn on for 2 seconds and shut off and get error.

Im lost at this point not sure what else to do, I read on other forums that some stated the car senses the ballast and as for safety the car cuts the power to the headlights. Is this true?

Has anyone else had this issue or does any one have aftermarket HID kit installed in there 2.5T 2006 Volvo XC90 AWD?

Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks

·
Registered
668 Posts
Are you using the Volvo version or some aftermarket set?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Ok I have an 2006 Volvo XC90 withOUT stock hids. I just today tried to install an HID Kit on my volvo I have installed many HID kits on many other cars in the past with no issues. But my volvo is not liking the HIDs.

The issue. After installing the HIDs with the ballast I turned the car on and the hids come on for 2 seconds and turned off, and I get the Blown bulb error. I tried adding the capacitor mod to the wiring and same issue hids turn on for 2 seconds and shut off and get error.

Im lost at this point not sure what else to do, I read on other forums that some stated the car senses the ballast and as for safety the car cuts the power to the headlights. Is this true?

Has anyone else had this issue or does any one have aftermarket HID kit installed in there 2.5T 2006 Volvo XC90 AWD?

Thanks
i did try to install hids on one of my friends xc90 and we couldnt do anything to make them work. Unless you make the mod on the fuse box on the passager side which i dont like. In my 2005 i just installed regular plug and play kit and works perfect, the same on others friend xc90 2005.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So does this seem like the 06 xc90 and newer have some kind of system of detecting aftermarket mods or HID kits and disables them from be used? So are you saying It would not be possible to install aftermarket hid kit on my 06 xc90?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone tried or had any luck in getting an aftermarket HID kit working on a 2006 volvo xc90 2.5T? Please post.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Look on xcforums.com for the answer. I can't link it from my cell phone.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyways here is an idea what if i use an relay wire harness that they sell for hid kits? What if I tap into the parking light power to the wire harness instead of the headlight 12v on switch? Would this work you think? all the relay needs is a 12v switch to draw from the battery instead of the 12v switch.

Let me know if you had tried this too or if you think it would work. I think the issue is from the headlight wiring. so If we use a different power source switch it would let us use hids.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Should work, I would get the 12V to be switched by the relay from the 12V post in the engine bay. You may need to use power resistors as Dummy lights so that you do not get light failure messages. I do not know the wattage of the standard low beams, but given that you will want a resistor rated for that power or more and a resistance to give you that power of the lights through resistors.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

Thanks
here, now that i am in front of a PC, try this and see if it works.

http://xcforums.com/topic/393-xc90-diy-hid-lamp-out-message-eliminater-mod-its-free/

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Anyways here is an idea what if i use an relay wire harness that they sell for hid kits? What if I tap into the parking light power to the wire harness instead of the headlight 12v on switch? Would this work you think? all the relay needs is a 12v switch to draw from the battery instead of the 12v switch.

Let me know if you had tried this too or if you think it would work. I think the issue is from the headlight wiring. so If we use a different power source switch it would let us use hids.
this would work but you are putting a higher current draw on a line that was not meant for it. potential problems down the road. I do not suggest that.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Chris,

Where did you get the HID kit from ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After looking every where I resolved the issue myself. Ok I ended up having to use two relay harness one for each ballast 35W. this worked but got the BOW on the dash. I wanted that to go away so I installed two 50W resistors. These do get hot but I installed them clear form every thing, I mounted them under the car and sealed both ends of the resistor with liquid tape. Everything is working Perfect hids working and no more bow on the dash. I can send pic's of the resistor location, if anyone wants.

·
Registered
648 Posts
It's not that the computer is "preventing" you from installing aftermarket HIDs, the computer isn't seeing the expected power draw so it thinks there's a blown bulb and shuts off current. Installing the resister tricks the computer into thinking the bulbs are installed.

Did you install new reflectors too? If you install HID bulbs in the regular non-HID housing, your light pattern will be completely off. Besides the fact that it's illegal to do so, it will blind on-coming drivers and generally offer poor lighting for the driver, since the light is scatted all over the road instead of in a focused beam in front of you.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I can attest to the 'all over the place' light pattern. So, how would you install reflectors in a halogen headlamp assembly ?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts