SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed my 6000k 55 watt HIDs on Friday. Installation was a piece of cake.
No bulb out warning on the dash, i drilled a 2mm hole in the resistor so it knows
the HIDs are pulling less power from the car then the halogens.

PICS:
Ballast Located On Driver side fender

On the passenger side i put the ballast in the ecu box because of the timing
belts on the engine. Great place for it!

Daytime Shot:

Night shot pics to come soon!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Re: HID 6000k 55 watt installed (xUNiQuE)

I like the install. Nice and clean! :thumbsup: Nice car, too! (I miss my old red car...
)

Quote, originally posted by xUNiQuE »
No bulb out warning on the dash, i drilled a 2mm hole in the resistor so it knows the HIDs are pulling less power from the car then the halogens.
Care to explain that?

Also, is there no relay for these HIDs? Do the ballasts just have individual relays built-in?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: HID 6000k 55 watt installed (StarmanDXE)

Quote, originally posted by StarmanDXE »
I like the install. Nice and clean! :thumbsup: Nice car, too! (I miss my old red car...
)

Care to explain that?

Also, is there no relay for these HIDs? Do the ballasts just have individual relays built-in?

Thanks, yes here is the link that will tell you everything:
http://www.xenonvalot.com/xenonfixvolvo.html

If your not comfortable drilling a hole in the resistor, then just go to your
local dealer and buy a extra resistor. Its about $8 (part no. 9442190)

As in for the relays i am not sure.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

Shouldn't you not have a bulb out message if you used 55W xenon's to replace the 55W halogens? I thought you only had the message if you replaced the 55W halogens with 35W xenons.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts

Thanks, yes here is the link that will tell you everything:
http://www.xenonvalot.com/xenonfixvolvo.html

If your not comfortable drilling a hole in the resistor, then just go to your
local dealer and buy a extra resistor. Its about $8 (part no. 9442190)
Wow. That's pretty awesome! I wonder if rigging like that can be done for the taillights and turn signals so that they can be more easily replaced with LEDs...

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (Paysts)

Quote, originally posted by Paysts »
Does the pattern of the light look like that of a car that came equipped with HIDs?

The light pattern on my car looks fine. I don't blind anyone at all.
But you can mostly tell that my car didn't come with HIDs
Especially that i don't have projectors

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
why didnt you get the super slim ballasts from sharphid?

Does the pattern of the light look like that of a car that came equipped with HIDs?

im pretty sure it is usually only projectors that have the awesome beam pattern cut off..

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Re: HID 6000k 55 watt installed (StarmanDXE)

Quote, originally posted by StarmanDXE »

Wow. That's pretty awesome! I wonder if rigging like that can be done for the taillights and turn signals so that they can be more easily replaced with LEDs...

To answer your question, more than likely yes, this method could potentially be used to run LED's in the tails/blinkers. If you look at volvo wiring diagrams, Volvo calls them "shunts" and there are like 4 of them located in the REM (in the trunk, behind the side panel).

On another note, I wonder if placing the ballast in the ECU box is such a great thing...high voltage = lots of noise = not good for any electronics circuit, nonetheless the circuit that controls your car

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Re: (Paysts)

Not even close, you can see even in that daytime photo that light is scattering all over the place (the arc is not same shape as the original filament, so does not work properly with the reflector housing).

If he drove past me in the dark, I'd turn around and go fix his lights with the pipe wrench from my trunk.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Re: (ss60)

Quote, originally posted by ss60 »

Not even close, you can see even in that daytime photo that light is scattering all over the place (the arc is not same shape as the original filament, so does not work properly with the reflector housing).

If he drove past me in the dark, I'd turn around and go fix his lights with the pipe wrench from my trunk.

Looks like the R lights to me

·
Registered
367 Posts
Re: HID 6000k 55 watt installed (vivek9856)

Quote, originally posted by vivek9856 »
Shouldn't you not have a bulb out message if you used 55W xenon's to replace the 55W halogens? I thought you only had the message if you replaced the 55W halogens with 35W xenons.

I thought the same thing, since I am planning on going HID in a week or two. so I wrote Sharp HID to check, and John Sharp said "For the low beam installation you will need the bulb out warning cancellers even with the 55w kit"

·
Registered
497 Posts
Re: HID 6000k 55 watt installed (Rezin S60T5)

Quote, originally posted by Rezin S60T5 »

I thought the same thing, since I am planning on going HID in a week or two. so I wrote Sharp HID to check, and John Sharp said "For the low beam installation you will need the bulb out warning cancellers even with the 55w kit"

I have an 05 S60 t5, and he told me the same thing. I ordered the 55w kit w/o the harness. I read mixed feedback, and I decided to risk it.

·
Registered
517 Posts

Yeah. Not to knock at the installation of HID bulbs in non HID cars, but the light pattern of the HID is just as important as the light itself.

Maybe if the T5 came with Infiniti J30 headlamps would things look smooth.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I actually don't blind anyone on the road. I tested it out myself.
Thanks for you input. Moving on....

·
Registered
497 Posts
Re: (xUNiQuE)

I actually don't blind anyone on the road. I tested it out myself.
Thanks for you input. Moving on....

On every forum site, there will always be people who say HID's are only meant for projectors blah blah blah
and you should do a retrofit blah blah blah

but for most people's use, HID's work fine in stock housings, and only blind people with a ****ty designed HID kit and a crappy headlight design

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (Tiny)

Quote, originally posted by Tiny »

On every forum site, there will always be people who say HID's are only meant for projectors blah blah blah
and you should do a retrofit blah blah blah

but for most people's use, HID's work fine in stock housings, and only blind people with a ****ty designed HID kit and a crappy headlight design

Well I tested it out myself to see if i was blinding anyone and i'm not.
If I got ahead and adjust the housing up, then i would start blinding everyone.
I'm going to take some night pictures tonight and you will see the lighting pattern.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts