SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! Long time multiple Audi guy here, but after my '06 A4 Avant's engine died (sludge) last week, it was time for a new sport wagon. Unfortunately Audi gave up on wagons, and me, in the US (not counting the over-priced and under-powered A4 Allroad), so I thought I'd scratch an itch I've had for awhile and grab a Volvo sport wagon! I may still name my first born boy after Tom Kristensen however :eek: In full disclosure, I've always lusted over the ur T5 V70R's (especially saffron) and the later mid-2000's version (especially in sonic blue). Almost pulled the trigger on various second hand one's for sale, but they always seemed to have a billion miles on them and maimed front air dams!

New chapter..

I just nabbed a very sweet '15 V60 T6 R-design platinum in rebel blue and I'm really quite thrilled with it! Btw, noticed some funny snobbery on the "old" R forum around the R vs R-design comparison. Reminds me a lot of the Audi "S" kids on Audi forums looking down upon the non-"S" peasant class with contempt...lol. I promise not to ever be so elitist here! To me, it's Euro sport wagons (sex wagons) and then the rest of you...haha! Just kidding ;)

I'll post some pics soon!

Ciao!

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Congrats and welcome to SS! You will find many an Audi converts here (myself included). Hurry with those pics, or some here will say you bought an Accord :)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Awesome car!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Congrats and welcome. The car looks fantastic!

It's also nice to see others come over from the German makes as Volvo figures out that there is a real market for those who value the performance but can't stand the poor reliability of Benzes, BMWs, Audis. Personally, I literally gave away my C32 AMG rather than deal with yet another major repair that may or may not have held up.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Because I'm curious... How was the reliability of your Audi A6? Did it have tons of problems, both major and minor? How did it die from engine sludge?

Enjoy your V60. It'd be cool if you keep this thread updated with your own personal review.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
How did it die from engine sludge?
When oil turns to sludge it can no longer lubricate the engine properly so either the engine seized or worn out prematurely. The oil sludged due to infrequent oil changes. VW's 1.8T was a sludger. The problem was not enough oil in the sump to support the recommend change interval, IIRC 4 quarts. VW's solution was to recommend synthetic oil only on 5k miles change intervals and changed to a larger oil filter size which allowed for more available oil.

·
Registered
74 Posts
congrats - nice ride!

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Because I'm curious... How was the reliability of your Audi A6? Did it have tons of problems, both major and minor? How did it die from engine sludge?

Enjoy your V60. It'd be cool if you keep this thread updated with your own personal review.
Hi, thanks for the warm welcomes!

As for my 05.5 Audi A4 2.0tq (B7) engine issue (129K miles), my understanding is that the sludge built up over time (common issue with the early Audi direct injection engines, regardless of care) and ended up clogging the the oil pick-up tube or oil pump. This obviously caused an oil starvation scenario with overheating internals, friction and resultant damage. Metal was found in the head and in the oil filter so I said wrap it up and I'll sell it as-is cheap. In hind-sight, I should've shut it down on the road as soon as I got the oil pressure warning, but I took a chance and drove it back home only a mile or so away. Bad idea! Shame on Audi for the crappy engine design and shame on me for being an idiot! At least it was long since paid-off. This B7 was by far my worse Audi (of 4) as far as reliability goes, though I had an extended warranty through 86K miles, so I didn't really feel the pain in my wallet until the last few years. Let's just say I was a regular patron at the local Audi dealer service dept., like I had nothing better to do. Some of the other issues with this B7: Numerous electrical gremlins (some requiring the Germans to get involved to resolve), also vacuum pump, diverter valve, adaptive headlight failures, light switch, every engine sensor x2, and Lord knows what else covered under the 20 TSB's!

OK, so we still have a 2011 Audi A4 2.0t CVT (B8) (the wife's ride) which we've encountered a number of issues in it's first 40K miles. Chief among them was a serious oil blow-by and consumption issue which basically began when we pulled it off the show room floor. This is apparently a common problem with this newer edition of the Audi 2.0t. After the good ole consumption test, Audi was nice enough to replace the rings and pistons, no charge. It still blows smoke a bit on acceleration though the oil consumption is a lot better than the previous quart / 700 miles. Currently there's a rattling driver's side door and the smell of gasoline in the cabin, often when sitting at idle with the AC on...getting that looked at real soon. Otherwise, this engine is one nice little 4 banger! Fast and smooth as many V6's I've driven yet sips gas. It's rated at 211 hp but I'd bet money that it's more like 240-250. This CVT fwd is faster than the quattros (B8's) I've driven most probably due to the lighter weight sans the awd, but it's a real PITA keeping the front wheels from spinning in almost any situation (nightmare in the snow!).

Here's to many trouble free and fun years with the new blue Swede!! :beer:

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Nice looking car...........and excellent color choice. :beer::beer:

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New shoes! 19" Bor wheels! Rest assured mates, barely any increased ride harshness compared to the 18's (only 30 miles mixed road surface driving so far though)! VERY HAPPY!! :D

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
They look great! Did you keep the 18"s or work out a deal with the dealer?

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They look great! Did you keep the 18"s or work out a deal with the dealer?
Thanks! Just basically did an option upgrade (+$750 with exchange). Perhaps the only RD on the Bor's in N. America? ;-)

·
Super Moderator
39,234 Posts
Looks amazing!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
388 Posts
New shoes! 19" Bor wheels! Rest assured mates, barely any increased ride harshness compared to the 18's (only 30 miles mixed road surface driving so far though)! VERY HAPPY!! :D
Beautiful! Congrats!

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks amazing!!! :thumbup:
Thanks! How's that xc rd treating ya? The wife has caught the fever and is dreaming about savile gray xc60 rd's now. Is it livable for daily SUV use? Wondering about the polestar suspension on 20" wheels?

1 - 20 of 159 Posts