SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent bought my V70 yet, but its sitting in the driveway. Dealer let me take it home for the weekend. While i have some time with the car i was wondering what i should look out for? it has 99k on the odometer. It is a GLT so it is turbo and has all the bells and whistles. I am considering this car for a daily driver as i work on my first love which is Volkswagens. Volvos have always seemed like really neat cars and this is really my first experience driving/owning one.

Andrew

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Hi guys, im new here (polizei)

It would help to know what year, 98?
If you can, get it on a lift tomorrow to check for oil leaks out of the turbo lines and the rear main seal.
Turbo line is cheap,
rear main is expensive.

Does the car have service records?
Are you experienced enough to see if it's had any prior damage?
Check EVERY switch for proper operation, windows seat switches (they go bad)
A/C, look for flashing lights on the A/C controller. They may flash for 10 seconds then work properly. This could mean several ($$) things
Does the suspension make ANY noise at all when you go over bumps. Your roads are smooth so find a rough road and have a go at it there\Check the dipstick carefully for any "crud" on the stick. Even if the oil was changed yesterday if there is sludge in the oil and engine it will show.
Smear some (oil) from the dipstick on your hand, make sure it wipes cleanly off.. If it leaves a stain on your hand that requires a harder wash to get it off, run away from this car
Bottom line, there is nothing wrong with a 100K Volvo, I sell them all the time. Just try to make sure that it has been properly serviced and you'll be OK http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Hi guys, im new here (JRL)

thanks a ton for the tips, i will try and get it on a lift tomorrow. I havent checked the service records, but the guy said they should have them. The car is a 1999 and is white. I can look through for damage and i will car fax it as well just to be sure. i havent noticed anything yet except for some wear and tear on the interior and the top motor mount looks like it is ready to be replaced. how hard is that? if i buy the car i would go ahead and replace all the mounts just for peace of mind. Thanks again for the tips!

andrew

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Hi guys, im new here (polizei)

Top mounts break every 40- 60K.
I wouldn't worry about the others unless there is a noticable problem

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
drove around all night tonight and i must say i am very impressed with the overall feel of the car. At first i was a little hesitant about an automatic turbo car, but the transmission stays in gear when you want it to, shifts smoothly and its nice in traffic. I had fun playing with the trip computer too. All the switches seem to work and only a few things that i have found so far:
- broken button on the shifter, dunno how that got cracked
- drivers side door panel is loose
- shift selector light is burnt out

thats about it so far. I will clean the car on the outside to look for any dents or scratches/touch ups, but from what i have seen so far it looks dent free. White hides things like that pretty well tho. I love the dual AC also. Only thing i miss from my VW is the one touch up/down windows, but i can get over that.

some pics i took tonight:

pic of my dub:

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (polizei)

If you're buying from a dealer have them fix those items. They can be a PIA to do
You have ONE, one touch down driver's window.
Try to stop by a larger dealer, ask for their buyer if they have a paint gauge.
He should . With this little tool you can go over each panel to see if the paint is all original or not, this takes all of 30 seconds

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The drivers one touch window works just fine. I looked under the car and it is very clean, rust free, and all the bushings appeared to be in good condition. There were no oil drips or leaks anywhere. I looked between the transmission and engine and didnt see anything that would indicate a bad rear seal and no leaks in the turbo area. Checked the oil and it looks like it was changed yesterday, no sludge on the dip stick either. The service light comes on when i start it but then goes out about a minute or two later. Also when i first drove it the check engine light was on, but the next time i drove it, the light was off. Im thinking it must have been a soft code like a loose gas cap maybe? The suspension feels nice and tight, no noises when going over expansion joints or rough roads. Thanks for the help JRL!

·
Registered
773 Posts

Since this is a '99 car, you also have to be prepared for the ETM "problem". This is an electronic throttle, you don't have a direct gas pedal to throttle plate connection, you have a small servo motor doing the work at the throttle plate. Volvo used Magnetti Marelli piece, and it is subject to failure. Volvo has now issued an extended warranty on the part, 10 years or 200,000 miles. If you are buying from a dealer, he has probably already done the service recall? #155, which is the new software to help reduce this problem. There are numerous threads on this subject. I have an '01 S60 T5, with the same piece, and even with that I couldn't be happier with the car. It is an individual choice, but I wouldn't let this one part stop me from buying if the car is as good as it sounds.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

Sounds basically good. I would have a Volvo dealer check for a stored code as that check light coming on and going off can mean an 02 sensor going bad. ($250+)
If the oil is really fresh have the dealer reset the service light. That's what it does, come on for 30 seconds or 1 mile and then go off or do an oil change anyway and reset the light, never hurts

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Re: (JRL)

Believe you can reset it yourself (for '99-00 S/V70's):

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i did a car fax on it and found that it has had two previous owners, first was a lease, second was private buyer. It appears as if all major tune ups and service was done at a dealership in Florida which looks good. Unfortunately the carfax isnt too detailed, but its not a salvage, flood, or otherwise scary car. I am feeling pretty good about it and cant wait to go in monday to haggle with the dealer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts