SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hey SS, I always have a preliminary question to all the new members, what's your name?

alright, now that that's over with, you have a nice screen name "swedespeed". I'm suprised that hasn't been taken yet.

What cars do you own? How old are you?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i too was suprised that the nickname swedespeed had not been taken. how many members are on this board?

i don't own a volvo yet. i'm in the process of finding one to buy. i am looking at model years around 1984. i have a thing for older iron. (not too old though!) I would like to get a turbo, as i've never owned a turbo car before and am interested in playing with one.

i'm 29. i come from a volkswagen background and I drive a 97 Jetta GT right now.(soon to become my wife's) But i mostly prefer A1 VW body styles. somme VW's i've owned are
  • 83 Rabbit
  • 84 Jetta GLI
  • 91 GTI 8v
i enjoy turning the wrenches myself whenever possible but don't consider myself a master mechanic

I want to get into the Volvo scene because i have a baby on the way and want to get a safer car to transport my family while still having a fun and easy car to drive with some style/heritage.

I'm not a staff member of Swedespeed.com, I just play one on TV

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by swedespeed:
how many members are on this board?
1223 registered since the site went online on or about 11-28-00.

quote:

i don't own a volvo yet. i am looking at model years around 1984. I would like to get a turbo...
If you want an older car that will be less expensive to purchase, but may need a little fixing up, and you want to increase the engine output, I'd recommend a 1984 760 Turbo or a 1985 240 Turbo. Both have very strong engines (forged crank and rods), are factory intercooled, and have about 160hp/180ft-lbs. The '85-'89 740/760 Turbo got a newer design engine (B230FT), but it was not one of the strongest. Those are fine at stock boost, but as you increase the load, they will be more likely to break.

The '90-'92 740 Turbo or the 940 Turbo will get you a much nicer (& newer) car overall, and you'll get an improved engine over the '85-'89 B230FT. The purchase price will be higher, but the repairs and mileage will be less. A nice late model 740T can be found for well under $5K.

Keep in mind that the 240 Turbo ('81-'85) used the B21FT, which had K-jet mechanical injection. If you've worked with k-jet on past VW's, this might be something to consider, but I think there are some variations in the system used on the Turbo Volvo. The 740 and 940 used various forms of LH-jet injection (2.1, 2.2, 2.4).

·
Registered
188 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by towerymt:
If you want an older car that will be less expensive to purchase, but may need a little fixing up, and you want to increase the engine output, I'd recommend a 1984 760 Turbo or a 1985 240 Turbo. Both have very strong engines (forged crank and rods), are factory intercooled, and have about 160hp/180ft-lbs. The '85-'89 740/760 Turbo got a newer design engine (B230FT), but it was not one of the strongest. Those are fine at stock boost, but as you increase the load, they will be more likely to break.

The '90-'92 740 Turbo or the 940 Turbo will get you a much nicer (& newer) car overall, and you'll get an improved engine over the '85-'89 B230FT. The purchase price will be higher, but the repairs and mileage will be less. A nice late model 740T can be found for well under $5K.

Keep in mind that the 240 Turbo ('81-'85) used the B21FT, which had K-jet mechanical injection. If you've worked with k-jet on past VW's, this might be something to consider, but I think there are some variations in the system used on the Turbo Volvo. The 740 and 940 used various forms of LH-jet injection (2.1, 2.2, 2.4).

wow...hey ...thanks for that bit of info too!!

welcome aboard swedespeed!!!! woohoo!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Welcome SS! I too come from owning a long line of A1-bodied VWs (3 GTIs 2GLIs, one race car... sniff, all gone now)... among other Swedish iron, from the "other" marque. I can relate to your affection to the original GTI. Hopefully the 25th anniv. GTI will be returning to the original spirit of the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.