SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I recently picked up a 2008 C70 T5 with about 90K miles on the clock. The car is in very good shape, but it has a few mechanical issues, which I hope are minor (and yes I've been searching a ton!)

-There is a pretty significant vibration under moderate acceleration. The car is perfectly smooth off throttle. Is it safe to assume this would be caused by bad CV joints/axles?

-It has a bit of a high pitched squeek upon start-up, which goes away after 10 seconds. Normal volvo thing or something major to be looked at?

-The AC works well and blows cold, HOWEVER I'll use the word "blow" lightly, because it barely blows! I can hear the fan running at max speed, but the amount of air coming out of the vents is minimal, even at full speed. I have tried it with the AC on and off, recirc on and off, hot or cold air, feet, face and torso individually or all together and always the same result. Its as if the ductwork from the blower isnt attached or sealed properly to the vents. Is there any easy check for this?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Hmmm, interesting set of issues.

1. At this age all suspension parts should be suspect. These cars are too heavy for the stock P1 suspension so struts, shocks etc just go more quickly.. I assume you've checked out the tires & wheels.
2. That sounds like a loose belt. Definitely not a normal Volvo thing.
3. Did you check the cabin air filter? It's a pain in the ass but maybe it's so dirty that it blocks air flow. If it blows cold then the compressor clutch is engaging which is good news. The clutch not engaging is a typical problem for these cars.
Welcome and best of luck.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey all!

I recently picked up a 2008 C70 T5 with about 90K miles on the clock. The car is in very good shape, but it has a few mechanical issues, which I hope are minor (and yes I've been searching a ton!)

-There is a pretty significant vibration under moderate acceleration. The car is perfectly smooth off throttle. Is it safe to assume this would be caused by bad CV joints/axles?

-It has a bit of a high pitched squeek upon start-up, which goes away after 10 seconds. Normal volvo thing or something major to be looked at?

-The AC works well and blows cold, HOWEVER I'll use the word "blow" lightly, because it barely blows! I can hear the fan running at max speed, but the amount of air coming out of the vents is minimal, even at full speed. I have tried it with the AC on and off, recirc on and off, hot or cold air, feet, face and torso individually or all together and always the same result. Its as if the ductwork from the blower isnt attached or sealed properly to the vents. Is there any easy check for this?

Thanks all!
Sounds like the car I just bought 10 days ago. My vibration had to due to a bent wheel.
Shocks need replaced-that's next week's item.
Cold air--was blowing but not really cold. Had about 2/3 of a charge. Re-charged for about $100 and it will blow you out of there.

Good luck to us both.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

Well, the vibration is only upon acceleration. If I'm driving at say 60mph off throttle, the car is smooth as butter. I'm thinking the CV joints are suspect, as it seems to be a common issue.

As for the AC, the dealer where I bought the car from changed the cabin filter for me already, which we both hoped would solve the problem. And now a new issue, the AC goes warm after about 20 mins of driving! After starting the car again after a few hours, the AC blows nice and cold (again, weak fan). Very odd!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Welcome to the c70 club.

1. I agree with above. Could be many things, but could just be your engine and trans mounts. Check your control arms also.

2. I’d look at your belts. Also when was the timing belt done. Yours is 11 years old if original. Check to see how greasy the rubber is.

3. Mine is also not %100 cold either. I need a charge. I also have a cabin filter waiting to be replaced. I don’t care because I drive with the top down all the time.

Anyway, you’ll love this car. It is so much fun and it looks great with the top down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am new to posting on the forum although I have used it for a long time for information. So forgive me if I am not posting correctly. I had the same problem with the ac on my 2010 c706. If outside temps were above 85 degrees and the car had warmed up considerably from driving in traffic the ac would blow warm air. I found information about the magnetic clutch on the compressor not engaging because the gap had widened too much. I dont know how to link the info here but you can search for it. It is a matter of renting a tool and about 45 mins to remove shims from the compressor. I'm new to diy and was able to fix mine. It saved me a lot of money. The dealer will want to put a new compressor in which I guess if fine if under warranty. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts