SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have ANY idea how to open a key fob if the little screw is stripped? My keys are about 150 miles away so using my spare which is about to die since the PO stripped the screw and I've never been able to replace the battery. Any thoughts short of destroying the casing are appreciated.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
So what's stripped, the screw head or it just spins freely?
If the later than you should be able to pry it open since the screw should not hold much at that point...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The screw head, whoever owned this before me stripped the phillips. I'm just going to drill the top off, will let anybody know if that works.

·
Registered
204 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did that, for about 5 min but that key just DOES NOT like me. Luckily it managed to get me to where I was going and not leave me stranded the one time I locked my car. I have the original which works fine and am really thinking it might be time for me to just get that one replaced. I also have really bad luck and the scars to prove it with knives slipping and trying to take my fingers and thumbs with them, so 5 min was all I was willing to tempt before going hunting for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I just changed my battery today. Screw comes out and the case snaps apart with a little prying. I wonder if someone glued yours together given the screw was stripped?
Stan

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Time to get those - Cases from - Ebay - Isaac .
Might have to Crack the old Casing carefully - it does sound like it has been - Permanently Fixed .

If You choose to do that . Break Off the Key Insert End or use a Dermal Cutting Disc .

ps: If No luck getting a Deer - Rent a Car - Drive Up Rt 77 through from PA heading to rt. 95
between 11 pm and 4:30 am in the morning - You'll Hit at least 2 , Big Trophy Bucks : :)

State will issue a Permit and You don't have to pay for a Lic. - - - - LOL

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the deer, ignored the key while I was hunting and away from a decent hospital since sharp objects and my hands don't match well.... I can skin a deer w/o cutting myself but somehow I usually end up w/ cuts from engine work; dunno. Has anybody replaced the male end of their key with a new case off EBAY or anywhere similar? With my key the top part is attached to the male end anyway so w/e I get it cracked open probably just doing a surrounding gel casing.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Hope You hand is OK

PM sent , I have a few left over pc's - Let Me find them - there Yours If those extra Parts of mine will help.
Merry Christmas `\ : - ) :beer:

What were ya working on ?

ps:
On the Key Fob - If You pry it all apart or Drill it etc. , be careful Not to lose the Little Thumb slider and Spring - those sometimes - Pop Out .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts