SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Really sorry for this as I've seen - and read - a quite a few of the postings with similar subject lines. It's just that all of the problems are so different that I figured I'd post mine. I have a 2004 V70R. It's tremendous car, tremendous - fast, comfortable, and smooth-riding, ....until the electronics start to bugger up.
It is now stuck in 'Sport' (not sure why they don't just make 'Performance' the default and be done with it :) mode.
I took it to my favorite shop and they plugged it in to a Snap-On diagnostic system. Here is the oddity - when the car is plugged in and turned on it will stream codes for about a minute *THEN* all the codes go to '0' except for one or two. Can't remember which ones those are as I haven't been around to the shop lately.

So a couple of questions:
- Anyone have insight as to why the car would stream codes for a short time then (almost) everything goes to zero ?
- What's the latest 'buzz' on the online Vida/Dice tools - are they now any more stable/reliable ? Seems like it's a 50/50 proposition.
- Suggestions ?

The front struts were replaced about 7000 miles ago. Ran fine, no codes. Don't want to just start replacing parts without getting to the root of the problem.

Thanks, and again sorry about the 'Chassis Settings....' re-tweet.
Jim

·
Registered
17,557 Posts
Fronts were done and not rear?
Are the wires loose and being damaged/chafed by something?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Hi,
Really sorry for this as I've seen - and read - a quite a few of the postings with similar subject lines. It's just that all of the problems are so different that I figured I'd post mine. I have a 2004 V70R. It's tremendous car, tremendous - fast, comfortable, and smooth-riding, ....until the electronics start to bugger up.
It is now stuck in 'Sport' (not sure why they don't just make 'Performance' the default and be done with it :) mode.
I took it to my favorite shop and they plugged it in to a Snap-On diagnostic system. Here is the oddity - when the car is plugged in and turned on it will stream codes for about a minute *THEN* all the codes go to '0' except for one or two. Can't remember which ones those are as I haven't been around to the shop lately.

So a couple of questions:
- Anyone have insight as to why the car would stream codes for a short time then (almost) everything goes to zero ?
- What's the latest 'buzz' on the online Vida/Dice tools - are they now any more stable/reliable ? Seems like it's a 50/50 proposition.
- Suggestions ?

The front struts were replaced about 7000 miles ago. Ran fine, no codes. Don't want to just start replacing parts without getting to the root of the problem.

Thanks, and again sorry about the 'Chassis Settings....' re-tweet.
Jim
That error is generic and can be caused by several things related to the SUM. Without VIDA you won't know exactly what the issue is. It could be related to the accelerometers, the sensors mounted on the suspension, the wires going into the shocks/struts or even the SUM itself ( i just resolved that one after my heater core took a dump and dumped coolant inside the car and fried the SUM module in the drivers footwell - that exact msg was my indication that there a problem). It could even be as simple as a fuse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, to all who've taken a look/replied.
No, have'nt replaced the rears...yet. Fronts were obviously shot. Again, I try to not to operate as a *parts replacer* unless I know exactly why I'm replacing a part.
I'll check into/buy a VIDA unit.
Thanks for all the input so far.
Jim

·
Registered
568 Posts
Thanks, to all who've taken a look/replied.
No, have'nt replaced the rears...yet. Fronts were obviously shot. Again, I try to not to operate as a *parts replacer* unless I know exactly why I'm replacing a part.
I'll check into/buy a VIDA unit.
Thanks for all the input so far.
Jim
Your 4C is disabled. Position sensors, ACS, acceleration sensor/s, SAS, CEM, BCM, LSM, CCM, ABS/ antiskid sensor/s, axle bolt backing out, r e a l l y bad alignment, busted SUM and more can all cause this error.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have the same problem. I replaced the fronts last summer, no problems until late spring. Intermittent message. Much more frequent now. Checked wires this morning for chafing. They look good. Haven't had the time to hook up VIDA to take a look yet. My 4C gets stuck in whatever mode I have selected. Usually Comfort, but feels like Sport or somewhere between Sport and Advanced when the message comes up.

Post up your solution when you figure it out.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I have this issue now because I have to replace the left rear 4C and spring. I’ve replaced the fronts and rt. rear. I did find that the wire from 4C under car had rubbed on the axel and one wire was cut. Once I fixed that it went away. Now it’s back because the suspension is wondering when the other Shock will be replaced. The whole rear is off alignment.

If you replace the rears, do the right rear first as it’s the hardest to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts