SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to this side of the forum, but a few weeks ago I picked up this 1969. It’s going to be a few years in the making but the end result should be something awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
From the photo it looks to be a relatively clean car. How many miles? Finally, is it a Euro spec car? Not that I am an expert; but, I thought all the North American market 140s would have had side marker lights.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One fender has holes for side marker, driver side doesn’t. They’ll be shaved so won’t be putting any on. California car as far as I know. 76k in Odom, but sure it’s rolled over so no idea.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
A little daylight shows that the paint and bodywork is maybe not so clean; but, nowhere near as bad as some that I have seen. The 140 has lots of rust trouble spots so check everything over carefully.

Looks like it has a rally dash insert?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ralley yes. Rust yes. First step is taking it down to bare chassis and cleaning all the trouble out, and maybe ready for paint early next year.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also no drivetrain. So I have to decide on sourcing the B20 or something more modern and fun.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Looks like it's in a little bit better shape than mine, other than drivetrain it's more complete than my brick. Do you have the OEM steering wheel or is the current one all you have?

I wonder how much work it'd be to put a B30 and M401 in it?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No original steering at the moment.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I wonder how much work it'd be to put a B30 and M401 in it?
Aside from some space issues, I don't think a stock B30 would be a significant performance upgrade particularly after you factor in a significant increase in weight.

There are a number of 4 cylinder engines that may not be the most modern; but, are 'more modern' than the B20 and are lighter because of aluminum blocks & heads. A lot of these are available in front engine / rear drive configuration which eases installation. If you want to stay Volvo, conversions using the B2xx FT variants have been done once you get past the tilted versus upright what do I do with the brake booster problem. Beyond that there is the Ford Lima (think turbo coupe / XR4ti), GM Quad 4, Mazda MX5 and Pontiac Solstice family of engines. I am sure there are others. If you have significant coin to spend someone put a Honda F20C / F22C engine in an 1800 - not so commonly available in pick and pull yards.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Great looking car, White with Virgo's and Rallye Guages, checks a lot of boxes for me ;)

Where in So Cal are you? Eric at Hi Performance Auto in Torrance will have all that you need, I also have some parts from my years of 140 ownership so PM me.

I would stick with a B20. fun to drive, LOTS of fun with a few tweaks and the car is set up correctly. Easy to work on and looks correct in the engine bay, and drops right in .

If you have it built correctly and put a good pair of SU's (Stock) on it or .... better yet, some Weber DCOE 45's ( There was a period Factory Solex Side Draft RALLYE Performance Kit, so the DCOE 45's mimic that look and performance) you'll have plenty of fun driving it without the hassle of a swap.

As I don't see the stick shift ... was this a Manual Car? The reason I ask is that it hopefully has the pedals still, as those are becoming scarce (= EXPENSIVE IF YOU FIND A SET)

EDIT, Added links to Erics shop

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hi-Performance-Automotive-Service/288731527959942

http://www.hiperformanceautoservice.com/

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...hUKEwiE6MrR8uTkAhXI3J4KHaIXAtMQpx8wCnoECAoQBg

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome, not to far over in Riverside. It is stick with complete pedal assembly. I’ll shoot you a pm. Thanks.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Found it on google. Awesome. I’ll be sourcing an entire engine and trans. Really the only thing missing.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Eric's shop is an Alladin's cave of Vintage Volvo Parts. A very cool place to visit ....

Also notice the P1900 parked on the street in the Google Street View photo. I saw that car in his shop one visit, a very rare car indeed. And notice the front yard of the shop, the interior is even more intriguing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Eric's shop is an Alladin's cave of Vintage Volvo Parts. A very cool place to visit ....

Also notice the P1900 parked on the street in the Google Street View photo. I saw that car in his shop one visit, a very rare car indeed. And notice the front yard of the shop, the interior is even more intriguing.
I wonder what number the chassis is on the P1900? There were quite a bit less than 100 of those cars made if my memory serves me correctly.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I saw that listed for sale. Nice grab.

This is local:
https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=351290

Of course, you'd have to either convert it to a carb head or convert your car to FI. And you'd be committing to an M41 swap and all that entails.
WOW that is an outstanding deal, I would say that the transmission alone is worth $500. That would pretty much drop right into any Vintage Volvo. The only thing to mod is the tranny tunnel for the short shifter. Then Get rid of the K-Jet and add SU's, Weber DCOE's or a Megasquirt and Bosch/Beck Arnly injectors and call it a day .....

However, Seems that he has a PM from Somebody.

I wonder if it is a 74-75 B20 with the 8 bolt flywheel? The description seems to indicate that it could have been an -73 as it states it was swapped into the 245.

·
Registered
89 Posts
WOW that is an outstanding deal, I would say that the transmission alone is worth $500. That would pretty much drop right into any Vintage Volvo. The only thing to mod is the tranny tunnel for the short shifter. Then Get rid of the K-Jet and add SU's, Weber DCOE's or a Megasquirt and Bosch/Beck Arnly injectors and call it a day .....

However, Seems that he has a PM from Somebody.

I wonder if it is a 74-75 B20 with the 8 bolt flywheel? The description seems to indicate that it could have been an -73 as it states it was swapped into the 245.
That's the original B20 / M41 out of his 75 245. It would be an 8-bolt metric B20F with K-Jet. That would make it a good candidate for the IPD big bore kit and DCOE's. That would make a sweet early 140 lump!
I'd love to have the M41, but too far for me to deal with and he's wanting to sell as a complete unit.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It looks like a good deal, and I'm less than an hour away, but wasn't planning on power train for a while, but maybe I should just grab and store. You guys know of how hard it will be to get this to mount up? Different driveline, mounts....?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts