SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn’t help sharing these: a buddy of a buddy had this happen to their V70R.

Pictures say it all.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
16,823 Posts
Holy crap. Can’t be too hard to install, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
What makes you think they weren't installed correctly? I've seen multiple cases where the pad lining comes off the shoe and causes similar damage eventually.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Holey [email protected] Shortly after we purchased our '04 XC70, my son calls from fours away saying one rear wheel locked up. We were lucky. He backed up and the wheel released. I then removed the parking brake shoes and ordered new. The friction material delaminates from the metal backing shoes. New Volvo pads were about $45 a few years ago. Maybe time to change again just to be safe not to destroy the rear knuckle.

·
Registered
289 Posts
What makes you think they weren't installed correctly? I've seen multiple cases where the pad lining comes off the shoe and causes similar damage eventually.
Yep we have had it twice, Both oem Volvo parts. Ours was lucky the pad material just broke up but also destroyed the mounting points(requiring a new hub) but could still limp home. My aunt had it happen to hers and the wheel locked up going 60k. fun times.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Guess I should do both of my cars' parking brakes. The '01s was done years ago (by me, probably 75k ago) and I used the brake daily for parking on a hill at work for several years. No idea what the '06s status is (other than functioning)...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts