SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I still have not solved my problem with the rear end of my car. Starting about a month ago I started getting a rythmic thumping noise from the rear of my car that was dependent upon the speed of my car. Also i was getting a vibration in my parking brake lever that would also increase with speed. Brought it in to volvo they check my tires and say there are abnormal worn. Get tires replaced under warranty. New tires on now, noise is still there. Bring it back to volvo for free diagnostics and they say well you have two bent rims. So i went and got my two wheels straightened today, rebalanced and they even checked my alignment. Noise was still there. Got sick of mechanics so bought my own jack stands and jacks down here at school and put my car up. My friend ran the car in gear and the thump was coming from the rear right, but we could not isolate the noise. Bushings around suspension look in good conditions and there is no play in the wheel side to side or up and down. My question is, where do i go next? Could it be a possible wheel bearing? or could a warped rotor cause this rhythmic thumping?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I would check the parking brake shoes and make sure they are assembled correctly.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would check the parking brake shoes and make sure they are assembled correctly.
+1 or not de-laminated... just pull the rottor and make sure you dont have a time bomb for your axle.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would delaminated parking shoes causes this rhythmic thumping though ?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Well it's easy to check. So you never know. You'll be surprised where some noises come from.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I also have a rhythmic thumping feel in my '99 V70XC. It seems to occur when turning at slow speeds.

But I did find a source of vibration/thumping which may provide a possible answer for your question, I was sort of getting used to the vibration in my car but one day I took it out and the vibration seemed to have increased drastically. I just turned around and parked it, driving my other car for a few weeks. I finally NEEDED the wagon so I decided to see if I could find the vibration source. I jacked up one wheel at time and spun it, shook it, felt the tread, etc. I couldn't sense anything wrong until I got to the left rear. When I spun it I felt a nasty vibration. I looked behind the tire at the front of the wheel well and found that the emergency brake cable had shifted and was rubbing against the inside of the tread, causing a vibration much like a playing card in bicycle spokes. It had probably shifted when we installed the heavy duty sway bars a few months ago. I cable tied the cable away from the tire and that eliminated the majority of vibration.

I'm still pondering the source of the low-speed-while-steering vibration.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
If all the bushings are good then check the parking brake shoes by pulling the rotor off and check the wheel bearings as well.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have seen XC70's and XC90's with the front CVJ on the prop shaft to rear bound up from the grease being baked (catalytic converter heat) and the rear end would thump.
Usually, but not always, it would be a noise on take off. The noise is more than once per wheel revolution. The wheel completes a rev in a but less than 5 feet so do you think your noise is once or more than once per 5 feet travel?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I spoke to a Volvo tech the other day and described my symptoms. He said it sounds like the driveshaft "viscous coupling" is starting to go. He said to know for sure we'd have to remove the driveshaft and drive the car strictly FWD. Anthony, not sure if it's your problem but it sounds similar. Mine has gotten to thew point where I can hear a rattle that sounds like a loose exhaust pipe while coasting at 30mph or so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts