SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just left a Volvo dealership and drove a 2012 T6 R Design (red). I thought that there were some pretty good changes to the 2013 but they said no, they even showed me their dealer cheat sheet on the car, does anyone know what or if there are changes to the 2013 T6 R Designs?

Yes i will search when i get home but were are out and about looking now.

Thanks!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Other than how they package the car (Premier Plus & Planitum), rear heated seats are an option, larger front brakes and it has the new Haldex System. Cosmetically it only has the new Shifter and new "6" emblem.

If that doesn't matter and you can get a hell of a deal on the 2012 (which you should), than I say go for it!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Let's also not forget those new bigger front brakes!

·
Registered
329 Posts
The bigger brakes is the biggest change. Whether the existing '12 brakes are fine for you is up to you. For me, they're fine. My car will never see the track.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Other than how they package the car (Premier Plus & Planitum), rear heated seats are an option, larger front brakes and it has the new Haldex System. Cosmetically it only has the new Shifter and new "6" emblem.

If that doesn't matter and you can get a hell of a deal on the 2012 (which you should), than I say go for it!

Good Luck!
Some of the new options are cool but they are really trying to off load the 2012's. Some of the new changes are cool but saving 10K is way better LOL.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Some of the new options are cool but they are really trying to off load the 2012's. Some of the new changes are cool but saving 10K is way better LOL.

Thanks for the help!
Exactly, if you aren't set on the new changes, saving a load of money is nice! Good Luck and look forward to see pics; apparently a lot of R owners are starting to jump ship over to an RD lol!

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
apparently a lot of R owners are starting to jump ship over to an RD lol!

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
why wouldn't they? The R-design is a big improvement over the previous R... :p

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
I am really liking the new shifter puling left instead of right - its a little thing but the ergonomics feels much better. :)

'13s offer quicker shifts with sport mode - drive the '12 back to back with the '13 and see if you notice the difference. The leather pattern may also be slightly different.

Really compare the two years and see if the differences matter enough. :thumbup:

enjoy the test drives!

·
Registered
100 Posts

Thanks for the help!
If it's 10k in savings, get it and then use the money to do some of you own upgrades - Heico brakes, etc... :)

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
For those of us relatively new to Volvo..........very simply, what is the difference between R and R-Design???

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've tried to purchase 3 cars from Barrier - an Audi, a Porsche, and a Volvo. Everytime I've gotten a better deal and/or a better experience somewhere else. Bought the Porsche and the Audi at Roger Jobs in Bellingham and the Volvo at Sandberg in Lynnwood.
Yeah Barrier was not that helpful, but none of the dealers in Portland have any stock. One dealer has a red 2012 R but I do not want red. The car in Wa is exactly what I want and I only have 30 days before my low loan rates expres so I am kind of rushed. I will try Lynwood now.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am really liking the new shifter puling left instead of right - its a little thing but the ergonomics feels much better. :)

'13s offer quicker shifts with sport mode - drive the '12 back to back with the '13 and see if you notice the difference. The leather pattern may also be slightly different.

Really compare the two years and see if the differences matter enough. :thumbup:

enjoy the test drives!
Thanks Chris. The new shifter is awesome and the slightly bigger brakes is tempting. The issue is that Portland has 1 2012 R Design and none coming into stock soon so I cannot drive them back to back unless I want to drive to Seattle. But for pretty much for the same price as a 2012 I can get a 2013 from the mid west, so now I just need to sell the 2007 =)

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
For those of us relatively new to Volvo..........very simply, what is the difference between R and R-Design???
The P2 R (last generation) was a bit more of a departure from the mainstream P2 V70/S60 models that were available at the time. It featured AWD, Brembo brakes, 4C, special interior (all leather seats, door panels, gauge binnacle, etc.), 300 hp, 295 lb ft torque, which was probably 50 hp/ lb ft greater than that generation's T5. There are many more items that were upgraded as well but those are the major ones. As soon as the P2 R was released I would imagine T5 sales, although not significant to begin with at that point, all but disappeared.

The current R-Design is certainly an upgrade over the T6 that is available but not as many things were changed - same brakes, same AWD, 25 hp increase not as much as in the P2 R.

Why Volvo calls it the R-Design and not an R may presage additional model offerings in the future.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I'd like to break down the difference between the R and R-Design further: Marketing.

·
Registered
338 Posts
One is a car, the other is a cult! :p

1 - 20 of 40 Posts