SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys/gals,

Need some help. Tried filling the car this afternoon and it won't take any gas. The pump stops after about 1 second. Managed to get about $2.50 in by gently pressing again and again and then moved to another pump thinking it was the pump. Same thing happened again. Only managed to get $2.10 in.

Drove home and inserted an empty small tube in the gap cap. Was thinking maybe something was blocking it. About 6 to 8 inches down the pipe there was some resistance, then it allowed me into the tank. Pulled the hose back out and there was gas on it so I'm making it into the tank.

Took the car to another gas station hoping it was maybe just the machines and the same thing happened again. This sucks, it's the long weekend and I have a lot of driving ahead of me.

About 5 years ago, my wife's Toyota Sienna had the same issue and it ended up being the carbon filter ???. Something to do with filling and not allowing gases back out. Cost me a few pennies to replace as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what this might be? Am I looking at some costly repairs here?

PS - since I am able to get a small hose down there, I was thinking of filling a gerry can and using the tube and funnel to fill my tank. Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I was going to say. If the gasses are not escaping the pump will think your tank is full and it will stop the gas from pumping. That is no good!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi TG,

Thanks. Although my filter is not quite the same and I was unable to get a q-tip into it, the idea was bang on. Same hose leading up and similar black circular device at the top. No hole in the bottom though.

I banged it around a little (gently) and then went to Canadian Tire. Bought a hose and brought my gerry can and funnel with me (in case I needed to shove tube down it's throat and force feed it gas). When I went to fill the tank at the pump, it actually took gas without any problems. Not sure what was wrong. Maybe it was the heat (it's been hot here ove the past few days), maybe all it needed was a little shaking to remind it who's the boss.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Hi TG,

Thanks. Although my filter is not quite the same and I was unable to get a q-tip into it, the idea was bang on. Same hose leading up and similar black circular device at the top. No hole in the bottom though.

I banged it around a little (gently) and then went to Canadian Tire. Bought a hose and brought my gerry can and funnel with me (in case I needed to shove tube down it's throat and force feed it gas). When I went to fill the tank at the pump, it actually took gas without any problems. Not sure what was wrong. Maybe it was the heat (it's been hot here ove the past few days), maybe all it needed was a little shaking to remind it who's the boss.

Thanks for your help.
Glab I could help but especially that you can go on with your weekend ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I work at a gas station and not a day goes by that someone comes in to yell at me for this problem. When someone tells me about it I go test the pump to make sure its not the nozzle. 99% of the time the pump works just fine on my car or into a gas can. Typically its something funky with the car so its cool to know now about that vent. Also never hurts to let the attendant know about the problem. They'll probably blow it off but when the next person comes in they'll start to take it seriously

1 - 7 of 7 Posts