SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Hi guys...sorry for the delay...but there was nothing new to report...till now.

So between 30cm snowstorms, I was able to get the XC60 towed to the dealer this past Wednesday. They were only able to look at it today (Friday). The service guy called and told me they had about 1.5hrs of work on the car and now were at a standstill. They checked wires to and from the battery, checked the battery and starter. They also checked the connection to the CEM. They said they have about 3 pages of fault codes but can not communicate with the CEM in order to check anything. The tech managed to start the car using some bypass method.

They now want to replace the CEM, so that they can try and communicate with the car, check software, update for the TSB that I had noted before. They are asking me for approx. $800, of which approx. $400 is for the CEM, 1.5hrs they have now, 1.5hrs to install the CEM and about $75 for software update?

After a discussion with me telling them that if it happens to be a wire somewhere, or a connector, and we put in the CEM and it still doesn't work, then I just spent $400 for nothing. He told me they have all the best tools for the Volvo, but can't use anything cause they can't communicate with it.

Anyhoo, I told them to go ahead. It's going to take about 3 days for them to get the part.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like you have much of a choice.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
yeah, i agree. If it turns out it is not the CEM, get your old one back and sell it or keep it for the future.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Hi again guys...

Well, I'm picking up my car from the dealer on Tuesday and everything is running. Here is what the Service Advisor told me:

They changed the ECM as planned and then were able to communicate to all the different modules and saw that they weren't able to communicate with the transmission module. At that point, the tech continued to troubleshoot. He took out the battery and the tray and didn't find anything there. Then he took out the complete fuse box under the hood. He then found a broken wire, which he says would have also cooked a relay which shorted the ECM.

So that's the story. Broken wire! I will know more when I drive over to pick it up.

Total bill approx. $1500, which includes the ECM, 8.5hrs of labour and some misc components.

Thanks again for everyone's help on this one!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem

Do you know maybe which relay it was ?
I got exactly same problem - just loosing temper sometimes with that.
thanks
Peter

·
Registered
49 Posts
XC90 2.5t Will Not Crank

Having gone through every forum, seems like there are some knowledgeable members, so here is my issue. No warning, car won't crank, had to have it towed having checked all I could in parking lot, checked battery voltage, OK, lights and all other functions work, radio, A/C clutch, windows, etc. Key unlocks all doors, seems normal as far as dash lights coming on, headlights on, go off when going to crank position on ignition. Suspected starter connection, so jumped starter relay pins 87 to 30, and it cranks fine, but will not fire up. Tried the 5 key turn, disconnected battery, did the + and - cable contact for a few minutes, no change. Immobilizer is not on, or at least it isn't showing on dash. Had to give up and have it towed at huge cost to my home.

Double checked starter connections, even replaced starter just in case, no change. Checked connections to halo ring, no change, checked transmission by taking out of park, and each change of shift lever registered the change on dash indicator, so it is working properly and tried to start in neutral, no change. Obviously I checked all fuses with meter, changed starter relay, so at this point the power to the relay is not enabling starter circuit to complete, so any ideas what circuit prevents this power getting to relay, as in ignition switch possibly? I did pull apart ignition switch and cleaned with electronic cleaner, same with connection plugs, cleaned them all. What am I missing?

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thought about a flat key fob battery?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yes, even though locks worked from reasonable distance, battery seemed fine, but replaced it anyhow, no change, but thanks for the suggestion. I get a clicking relay in CEM when turning ignition, so the ignition switch seems to be working, changed the halo antenna receiver ring, no change, so can key lose its code by chance, and if so, can it be programmed to vehicle without towing to dealer which would be a fortune, and if it was key, would CEM relay click, so I am stumped.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Any luck? I have this issue with my XC90…battery and starter are only 1 year old. The car starts every morning and then leaves me stranded, just won’t crank.

Figured it was the CEM, and sent the CEM, ECU, and Key to XeModEx to get a new CEM unit with program transfer from old unit.

Got a call yesterday from Xemodex and their tech says the CEM is good…and maybe it’s the DEM. I feel like I’m chasing my tail.
Think I’m going to spend the $600…just have them send me the new CEM and cross it off the list of potential problems.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts