SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Realistically, pull the negative battery terminal, use the shiftlock override, pull it to neutral, put it back in park, then reconnect. If that's a no go, do it with the cable connected and powered.
Yup...I like this. Trying this evening when I'm back home.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ahhhh....this looks interesting! I'm trying this for sure!! Thank you!
Excellent. Now I can move the shifter. BUT, my battery is totally drained. I have it on the charger for overnight to see if the car will start and I will pick up a new battery tomorrow just to make sure while I try.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I just tried pressing the START button without a battery in the car, hoping this might flash the ECU, then putting my battery in and tried to remove the key.

At least this time, the one error message I get is that it is asking for the car to be placed in park. Perhaps that switch isn't working??? Again, my steering wheel isn't locked. If the car was in park, the steering locks and it enables the release for the key. How could I check that?

I'm also trying using my summer car battery that has been charged. It doesn't have as much cranking amperage, but the car is in the garage and the temp is approx 7C and I'm keeping the charger on it. I have a suspicion that perhaps my own original battery isn't 100% as it fully drained off yesterday from being in the car and not having anything powered. I also think there might be some type of power drain going on and read that perhaps this was addressed in a software upgrade. But I can address that after once the car is going.

I called another Volvo dealer in Ontario thinking they may have had more exposure to this type of problem. The only thing on the phone they mentioned, which was the same as my 'local' dealer, was to try and touch the positive cable to the nagative for a bit in order to drain everything. I tie-wrapped both together for about 3hrs today.

Now that I can get the car in gear, it could be towed. Since I'm 200kms from the dealer, this is not an option that I'm jumping to. I just bought this car about 3 months ago and I have 160,000kms on it. So no warranty left...at least I don't think so. I will call the dealer with the VIN to check.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You can check to see if the XC is in park by putting it in neutral, and try to push it. Then put it in park, and try to push it. There has to be some sort of electrical fault going on here. On the dash, does it indicate you're changing gear? If you're handy, pull out the plastics around the shifter and look for obvious garbage, dirt, grime, etc. Get some electronics contact cleaner, and hose the contact track for the shifter down. Same with any connection leading to the shifter that has connectors or open connections whatsoever.

Edit: none of this should be hard, I've had to do most of my electrical gremlin chasing in parking lots far away from home. You should be able to do this with minimal tooling. Taking it to the dealer, they're just gonna shotgun some parts after reading the ViDA codes and call it a day. They won't track it down, and try to rectify it before replacing the entire shifter assembly for gratuitous amounts.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
You can check to see if the XC is in park by putting it in neutral, and try to push it. Then put it in park, and try to push it. There has to be some sort of electrical fault going on here. On the dash, does it indicate you're changing gear? If you're handy, pull out the plastics around the shifter and look for obvious garbage, dirt, grime, etc. Get some electronics contact cleaner, and hose the contact track for the shifter down. Same with any connection leading to the shifter that has connectors or open connections whatsoever.

Edit: none of this should be hard, I've had to do most of my electrical gremlin chasing in parking lots far away from home. You should be able to do this with minimal tooling. Taking it to the dealer, they're just gonna shotgun some parts after reading the ViDA codes and call it a day. They won't track it down, and try to rectify it before replacing the entire shifter assembly for gratuitous amounts.
Good point and thanks for the tip. Yes, the car can rock back and forth when in N and not in P, so the transmission appears to be in P.

I've got about 1/2 of the gear shift console apart and I'm comfortable chasing the electrical gremlins, as you mention. I'd rather not pay the shop rate to have someone do exactly as I can...for now. I'm going to check on the switch that should close when the car is in P and see if I can find anything there.

Also, I just picked up a DICE and VIDA and will try and communicate with the different modules. First I need to find a laptop running Windows 7 or older, 32-bit only with min 3GB RAM...I think I have an old one but prob doesn't have 3GB RAM. My buddy had tried a couple of patches like running a 32-bit OS separately and allocating some extra memory as RAM, but didn't have much success.

Will post an update once I explore this a bit further.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Guys...I just found this:

TSB #RTJ-20857
NHTSA ID #10030287
Date Announced:
APRIL 15 2009
Additional Info:
How to Fix
Summary: VOLVO: VEHICLES WITH T6 ENGINE ONLY MAY SHOW A MESSAGE IN THE DIM READING SELECT P OR N TO START WHEN SELECTOR IS ALREADY IN PARK OR NEUTRAL. THERE IS A TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE (TCM) SOFTWARE (SW) UPGRADE AVAILABLE BUT THE FOLLOWING FAU

I can't seem to find the rest of the details of this TSB, but this decribes EXACTLY my issue and would explain qhy I can't find anything. Would this apply to my 2011? AND finally, if my car is stuck in my garage 200kms from the dealer, could this cover towing?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So...it's been 2 weeks and my XC60 hasn't started yet. I'm going to get it towed over 200kms to the dealer and hopefully that TSB will take care of it!

I'm frustrated that I can't do it myself and hope that these first 3 months of ownership won't reflect on my whole time with this vehicle. Will advise what they find.

Thanks for all the tips!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So...it's been 2 weeks and my XC60 hasn't started yet. I'm going to get it towed over 200kms to the dealer and hopefully that TSB will take care of it!

I'm frustrated that I can't do it myself and hope that these first 3 months of ownership won't reflect on my whole time with this vehicle. Will advise what they find.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
That TSB was a good find, where did you find it?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts

Having owned several Volvos and as a fellow XC60 owner I am sorry you have had so much trouble with yours. I do not see where you mentioned the year yours is, but I would hope that the dealer would pick up your towing costs if nothing else.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The steering lock will only work when the key is removed so as the key is stuck in the ignition, the lock won't engage. There has to be something wrong with the shifter as the light indicating what gear you are in doesn't light up when ignition point 2 is engaged. I couldn't tell from the video if your starter motor was clicking when you tried starting but if you do hear a click then it is possible that the battery cable from the + to the starter motor is faulty.

Regards,

Michael

·
Registered
333 Posts
Did you get Vida going? Vida will tell you if the car thinks it is in N or P, or perhaps there is a faultcode on the gear selector switch?

I do think there is something wrong with the gear selector, or that SW issue that you found som information about.

What happens when you press the startkey for 2-3sec without having a foot on the brake?

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Having owned several Volvos and as a fellow XC60 owner I am sorry you have had so much trouble with yours. I do not see where you mentioned the year yours is, but I would hope that the dealer would pick up your towing costs if nothing else.
Thanks Reward2. My vehicle is a 2011 and I do hope this isn't a sign to come. Hmmmm...I really can't see the dealer picking up the tab for the tow...but we'll see how it goes!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The steering lock will only work when the key is removed so as the key is stuck in the ignition, the lock won't engage. There has to be something wrong with the shifter as the light indicating what gear you are in doesn't light up when ignition point 2 is engaged. I couldn't tell from the video if your starter motor was clicking when you tried starting but if you do hear a click then it is possible that the battery cable from the + to the starter motor is faulty.

Regards,

Michael
Thanks Michael. I have now pulled the fob out of the dash. Since this is the push button start and the one with the wireless start (the key doesn't need to be in the ignition to start), I don't believe that there is a mechanical 'link' between the steering wheel and the iginition, as we remember typical cars work.

I did check that cable going to the starter didn't 'look' or feel bad, but I was unable to check the power going to the starter as I don't believe that there was any going there. There was no click. Perhaps I could have ohm'ed it out to check for continuity?

I don't disagree that it could certainly be shifter, or something in there. I wasn't able to find any faults just by my inspection.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Did you get Vida going? Vida will tell you if the car thinks it is in N or P, or perhaps there is a faultcode on the gear selector switch?

I do think there is something wrong with the gear selector, or that SW issue that you found som information about.

What happens when you press the startkey for 2-3sec without having a foot on the brake? When the start key is pressed for a few seconds, without the brake depressed, it's like the Accessories come on, including headlights. Then when I press again, most goes out, but then after about 5 seconds, the headlights come back on. I usually have to disconnect the battery in order to turn the headlights off.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
Hi MartinS,

Thanks. Nah...no luck on VIDA. I managed to install it, but then received the message VIDA NOT OK. After checking online, looks like the fix for that VIDA error message could be quite onerous, so I just gave up on that. I agree...either shifter or software.

·
Registered
164 Posts
How is it progressing? Is it with a dealer?

21 - 40 of 51 Posts