SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys...

I found a few that had discussed having the same issues as what I am experiencing, but their resolution hasn't worked for me.

My XC60 is stuck in my garage, unable to start. My dashboard is lit up like a XMas tree, with a bunch of messages, but the 2 that appear the most are: "Brake Failure...be careful" and "Immobilizer Malfunction" (my dash is in French...so I am translating).

My key is stuck in the dash, all of the accessories appear to work (radio, fan, lights, etc). The message "Place vehicle in Park" appears as well, but the car is in park. I hit the start button and nothing happens.

I have changed both batteries in the key fobs. I have charged my battery (2Amp overnight and 6Amp for a few hours) in case this was the issue. I am showing 12.84 Volts across the poles. I have also tried boosting the car with another with no success.

A few had mentioned that boosting the battery worked for them and others replaced the battery and that worked.

Any thoughts? If I boosted the car and charged the battery, would changing is solve my problem? Anything else I am missing?

Thanks!!!
-Mitch

·
Registered
92 Posts
What you're describing is similar to what I experienced - alternator was faulty, and this in turn burned out 1 cell in the battery as well, and the computer went haywire. Replacing the alternator and battery fixed the problem.

Hi guys...

I found a few that had discussed having the same issues as what I am experiencing, but their resolution hasn't worked for me.

My XC60 is stuck in my garage, unable to start. My dashboard is lit up like a XMas tree, with a bunch of messages, but the 2 that appear the most are: "Brake Failure...be careful" and "Immobilizer Malfunction" (my dash is in French...so I am translating).

My key is stuck in the dash, all of the accessories appear to work (radio, fan, lights, etc). The message "Place vehicle in Park" appears as well, but the car is in park. I hit the start button and nothing happens.

I have changed both batteries in the key fobs. I have charged my battery (2Amp overnight and 6Amp for a few hours) in case this was the issue. I am showing 12.84 Volts across the poles. I have also tried boosting the car with another with no success.

A few had mentioned that boosting the battery worked for them and others replaced the battery and that worked.

Any thoughts? If I boosted the car and charged the battery, would changing is solve my problem? Anything else I am missing?

Thanks!!!
-Mitch

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What you're describing is similar to what I experienced - alternator was faulty, and this in turn burned out 1 cell in the battery as well, and the computer went haywire. Replacing the alternator and battery fixed the problem.
Ah...thanks for the tip. I'm 200kms from the dealer and would typically do this myself. I'm not yet jumping at purchasing an alternator for troubleshooting though. If I could start it someway, then I could test the alternator.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I will take my battery to a battery shop to get it properly tested and go from there. Hopefully it fails and that will do the trick!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just tried another battery that I had and no go. What I don't understand is that even if it would be the alternator, this shouldn't prevent it from starting???

·
Registered
229 Posts
You must have a 2010 model, I had fits with mine last year regarding battery/reliability as far as start up went, especially during the brutal winter we had last year. Not good, my wife was afraid to drive it to work in fear it would not start or die, just as you explained. I had the battery replaced, it died again, and they claimed it was a bad battery cable. I love the car, but hated the battery/reliability issues it was having. Took a chance, and upgraded to a 2013.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just tried a BRAND NEW battery and no go. Something is wrong and I am thinking it is not battery or alternator related. All of my electricals are working, including the power lift gate. I don't want to rule out battery cable, but I do have contact for all of the other items.

I've ruled out dead battery by trying a brand new battery. This should also rule out alternator (at least till I get it started and can test the alternator).

There must be something with the immobilizer system. The messages that I keep getting are Put Vehicle in Park and Immobilizer System. I used to get all of the other messages, but now I don't. I hooked up my OBDII scanner and nothing there.

This has been 4 days now with this $%^[email protected]# car that won't start and stuck in the garage, 200kms away from the dealer. Blah!!!

Would appreciate any hints.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Given all the symptoms, I really think that it is the security system / immobilizer that isn't letting me start the vehicle. The battery is fine. But it is not recognizing the key and not giving permission to start the vehicle.

Is there a way to bypass this? Pull the fuse?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
is the battery in the key still good?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it's saying the car isn't in park, then it isn't in park. Check to see if it will switch into any other gear?
Some good thoughts!!

The car is actually in Park. The gear shifter is 'locked' and can't be released. Even if I push the released button as you would normally do to move the selector, no go. I've tried pulling wiht about 25lbs of force, but didn't want to try harder cause I didn't want to break it. All this done with my foot HEAVY on the brake pedal. No go.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Not sure if these have an override or release but research that, if you can get it into neutral, it should still start. Just to eliminate the "park" issue.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure if these have an override or release but research that, if you can get it into neutral, it should still start. Just to eliminate the "park" issue.
Good point. If I could get it out of Park, I might get somewhere. I haven't found an override? Someone mentioned about using a screwdriver in there? I will investigate further.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If it's saying the car isn't in park, then it isn't in park. Check to see if it will switch into any other gear?
Actually...maybe the shifter is in PARK, but the car doesn't recognize that it is in PARK? Interestingly, my steering wheel is NOT locked! So how do I tell the car that it is in PARK? I will try rocking it back and forth a bit to see if that could help move on the transmission.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Realistically, pull the negative battery terminal, use the shiftlock override, pull it to neutral, put it back in park, then reconnect. If that's a no go, do it with the cable connected and powered.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Actually...maybe the shifter is in PARK, but the car doesn't recognize that it is in PARK? Interestingly, my steering wheel is NOT locked! So how do I tell the car that it is in PARK? I will try rocking it back and forth a bit to see if that could help move on the transmission.
Take the parking brake off, and try to push it. I've seen malfunctions like this before in cars with cables leading to the trans. Let me do some research.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts