SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So when I go to Amazon and search for DICE there are a lot of options available.

I was wondering if any of you could point to the unit you purchased and have had success with?

Thanks in advance!

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=volvo+dice&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

There are a bunch that look like this one, but all from different vendors. I'm assuming they are all the same, but you know what they say about assumptions.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
You want one with a green (not blue) circuit board and the RENESAS main processor. Can't recall which secondary microchips are desirable.

The blue board ones are known to fail.

A genuine Volvo DICE uses the same Renesas chip.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Have you installed Vida yet - are you using an amazon\ebay version of that as well? i still cant get mine installed for the life of me.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Have you installed Vida yet - are you using an amazon\ebay version of that as well? i still cant get mine installed for the life of me.
What is the problem you are experiencing? what part of install fails?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
The part where i open the extracted folder and it says i need to follow more links to download more stuff lol? from my understanding im going to need to run a VM (virtual machine) if i want to use it on my windows 10 Surface Pro 3. I just dont know where to start - all i want to use it for is the repair info and parts catalog i can worry about diagnostic stuff later.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
The part where i open the extracted folder and it says i need to follow more links to download more stuff lol? from my understanding im going to need to run a VM (virtual machine) if i want to use it on my windows 10 Surface Pro 3. I just dont know where to start - all i want to use it for is the repair info and parts catalog i can worry about diagnostic stuff later.
Oh, ok. Not sure how Vida behaves on VM, I just used old laptop laying around and configured it specificaly and only for Vida+dice (w7 and 4Gb RAM).
Even after that I experienced some issues with missing dialog box for Dice connection but followed tutorial on YT and sorted it out.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Oh, ok. Not sure how Vida behaves on VM, I just used old laptop laying around and configured it specificaly and only for Vida+dice (w7 and 4Gb RAM).
Even after that I experienced some issues with missing dialog box for Dice connection but followed tutorial on YT and sorted it out.
I ran my VIDA on a VM on a macbook. It worked fine. The only issue was occasional connection issues. Sometimes the connection would just randomly disconnect, and I'd have to reconnect to the OBD port and reboot VIDA.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up buying this one on EBay -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-Newest-VOLVO-VIDA-DICE-2014D-OBD2-EOBD-Code-Reader-Auto-Diagnostic-Scanner/173259659647?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I will let you all know how it works.

I ended up picking this one since the guy had a lot of reviews and the shipping was fast. Several of the cheaper listings either the seller had no reviews, and/or the shipping was from China with upto a month or two wait.
Got my DICE and setup Vida All-in-One on a virtual machine using instructions in this link - https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?481385-VIDA-Dice-2014D-VM-Image-Download-Link

All working at this point!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts