SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an issue with my 2017 XC90 since the day I picked it up. The car exhibits vibration from about 18-20 mph. I reported this issue within a couple of days of picking up the car. The dealer thought that the issue might be related to the handoff between the supercharger and turbo charger, so, I let it go at that time. However, the issue continued to happen and I reported it to the dealer each time I brought the car in (maybe 5 times including annual service trips). The past few times I provided a TJ that documented the process of troubleshooting the issue, but, they never followed the steps - just told me they didn't find an issue. The last time I brought it in they told me that the issue was something they had seen before and that the traveling expert Volvo tech said it was not an issue.

Based on this discussion I asked that the expert be bought in and confirm that the issue they were seeing was in fact what they had seen previously. At this point, they did some additional trouble shooting which included following the TJ and swapping out my wheels for a donor cars wheels. The issue vanished.

Based on the troubleshooting the dealer reached out to Volvo and asked that they replace the tires. It took Volvo 4 weeks to come back and say no.

I am beyond annoyed given that I have driven the car with this issue for 2.5 years while they figure out the issue (23K miles)- not to mention the fact that they are dumping a 1K problem on me for a manufacturers defect. Adding to my irritation is the fact that I have seen all over this site that Volvo (under warranty) has replaced tires for customers for similar issues.

Any one have luck getting their tires replaced have any suggestions? Customer care has reopened the case but has told me that the decision is final and that there is no point of escalation which I find impossible to believe.

I am considering opening a small claims case against Volvo to force the issue but I have to believe that there is a reasonable way to resolve this issue.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the same question you have asked before.
. Nope. I previously asked if anyone had gone through the process of having tires replaced and how long it took. I have now been denied a replacement and I am asking where to go from here. This is a different question.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I have had an issue with my 2017 XC90 since the day I picked it up. The car exhibits vibration from about 18-20 mph. I reported this issue within a couple of days of picking up the car. The dealer thought that the issue might be related to the handoff between the supercharger and turbo charger, so, I let it go at that time. However, the issue continued to happen and I reported it to the dealer each time I brought the car in (maybe 5 times including annual service trips). The past few times I provided a TJ that documented the process of troubleshooting the issue, but, they never followed the steps - just told me they didn't find an issue. The last time I brought it in they told me that the issue was something they had seen before and that the traveling expert Volvo tech said it was not an issue.

Based on this discussion I asked that the expert be bought in and confirm that the issue they were seeing was in fact what they had seen previously. At this point, they did some additional trouble shooting which included following the TJ and swapping out my wheels for a donor cars wheels. The issue vanished.

Based on the troubleshooting the dealer reached out to Volvo and asked that they replace the tires. It took Volvo 4 weeks to come back and say no.

I am beyond annoyed given that I have driven the car with this issue for 2.5 years while they figure out the issue (23K miles)- not to mention the fact that they are dumping a 1K problem on me for a manufacturers defect. Adding to my irritation is the fact that I have seen all over this site that Volvo (under warranty) has replaced tires for customers for similar issues.

Any one have luck getting their tires replaced have any suggestions? Customer care has reopened the case but has told me that the decision is final and that there is no point of escalation which I find impossible to believe.

I am considering opening a small claims case against Volvo to force the issue but I have to believe that there is a reasonable way to resolve this issue.

Thanks for any help.
Scott Doering [email protected] as well as Bill Casey [email protected] and also [email protected]

Use both emails for Mr. Casey.

Email #1 - Dear Mr. Casey,

Email #2 - Dear Mr. Doering

Use same content both emails. Keep your email as brief, but descriptive as possible. Attach a PDF of any work orders you feel are relevant. Be polite and let them know what you'd like the resolution to be.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I would not have thought the transition from supercharger to turbo charger would cause a vibration that you would easily feel. That does not make sense to me. Did you actually have the service advisor drive with you where you and validate he/she felt the vibration? It will help your case if you can provide copies of the paperwork where the issue was brought up going back to the very beginning. I am assuming that when you complained about the issue that it was written up. Does your dealer agree that this is the same issue you have been asking about for the last 2 1/2 years? That will certainly help your case. So was it determined that it was the wheels or the tires? All the wheels or all the tires? I would have thought that when your tires were rotated that the vibration would have changed? If it is the tires what is it in the tires that is causing this problem? If it is the tires they carry their own warranty. I do not imagine that the tire company will replace the tires unless you can show them that they have manufacturing defects. They may give you some credit based upon how much tread is left versus new. Are you providing us with all the relevant information?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would not have thought the transition from supercharger to turbo charger would cause a vibration that you would easily feel. That does not make sense to me. Did you actually have the service advisor drive with you where you and validate he/she felt the vibration? It will help your case if you can provide copies of the paperwork where the issue was brought up going back to the very beginning. I am assuming that when you complained about the issue that it was written up. Does your dealer agree that this is the same issue you have been asking about for the last 2 1/2 years? That will certainly help your case. So was it determined that it was the wheels or the tires? All the wheels or all the tires? I would have thought that when your tires were rotated that the vibration would have changed? If it is the tires what is it in the tires that is causing this problem? If it is the tires they carry their own warranty. I do not imagine that the tire company will replace the tires unless you can show them that they have manufacturing defects. They may give you some credit based upon how much tread is left versus new. Are you providing us with all the relevant information?
When they said it was possibly the handoff the car was fairly early in its lifecycle, so, it was as good a guess as any I suppose. I had the SA in the car initially and he felt the issue. I also had an SA in my car on the most recent dealer visit and he felt the issue as well (in between the dealer said they could not duplicate the problem - it was always there). In terms of troubleshooting, the TJ suggested two paths. One is to pull the wheels and put them on a road force balancer (which they don't have) and the second option was to swap the tires/wheels from another vehicle. When they swapped the wheels/tires the issue completely resolved. I don't know if it was one tire or four - but likely based on the situation at least two as rotating the tires had no effect. There was no additional inspection of the tires to find the issue so there are is no additional information. Could it be the wheels - I hope not, but, I will find out when the new tires are installed later this week (I bought some Michilens).

The dealer did talk to Pirelli and they offered up 15%...on the purchase of another set of their tires purchased through the dealer at inflated prices. Not the solution I was looking for.

I will see if the installer (who has a very good reputation and a road force balancer) can review the OEM tires to see what is wrong with them when the new tires are mounted. If I can point to something when the tires are swapped may go back to Pirelli myself to see if anything can be done above the 15% offer.

Feeling more than a little annoyed over the situation.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The installer I am using has this machine. I am going to ask them to have a look at the tires/wheels initially to see what they find. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
332 Posts
what size pirelli? their noise canceling tires actually have a number of problems with vibrations(21" on xc90, check if the sidewall has ncs on it). the foam insert is not continuous around the whole tire, and it pulls away from the rubber. this causes roadforce measurements to be higher than usual. think volvo spec is under 18 pounds on your car. It can only be measured by checking roadforce which is basically how squishy your sidewall is around the tire. A tire can spin balance perfectly and have a "hard" spot in the tire which you will feel. going to be difficult to warranty now that you have 20k+, if you have 21" tires they are likely almost worn out. recommend switch to michelin ltx sku #99254 if they wont help

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what size pirelli? their noise canceling tires actually have a number of problems with vibrations(21" on xc90, check if the sidewall has ncs on it). the foam insert is not continuous around the whole tire, and it pulls away from the rubber. this causes roadforce measurements to be higher than usual. think volvo spec is under 18 pounds on your car. It can only be measured by checking roadforce which is basically how squishy your sidewall is around the tire. A tire can spin balance perfectly and have a "hard" spot in the tire which you will feel. going to be difficult to warranty now that you have 20k+, if you have 21" tires they are likely almost worn out. recommend switch to michelin ltx sku #99254 if they wont help
The tires are 20's (Matte Tech wheel - generally thought of as the upgrade wheel for the Momentum, but, I have them on my Inscription). The tires are in good shape from a tread perspective with the worst tires being something like 6/32 if I remember correctly. I expect that I could have driven them to 35 or maybe 40K or so if I didn't have this issue. Bought replacement tires already and did go with Michelin's Crossclimate. Newer tire, but, reviews I have found have been good. We will see. At this point, anything will be better than the Pirelli's...Unfortunate as I have this brand on one of my other cars and have been very happy with them. However, won't give them a second look going forward for the XC90.

Link to replacement tires:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...oYear=2017&autoModel=XC90 T6 AWD&autoModClar=

Thanks

·
Registered
278 Posts
Scott Doering [email protected] as well as Bill Casey [email protected] and also [email protected]

Use both emails for Mr. Casey.

Email #1 - Dear Mr. Casey,

Email #2 - Dear Mr. Doering

Use same content both emails. Keep your email as brief, but descriptive as possible. Attach a PDF of any work orders you feel are relevant. Be polite and let them know what you'd like the resolution to be.
What are the titles/positions for each of Doering and Casey, please? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
What are the titles/positions for each of Doering and Casey, please? Thanks.
Primary Contact
Bill Casey
Operations Manager, Customer Care Center
Customer Care Center
1 Volvo Drive
PO Box 914
Rockleigh, NJ 07647
[email protected]

Contact For:
United States
Title:
Operations Manager
Department:
Customer Care
Company:
Volvo Car USA
Address:
1 Volvo Drive
Rockleigh, NJ United States
Phone:
+1 201-784-4609
Email:
[email protected]

Secondary Contact
Scott Doering
Vice President, Customer Service
Customer Care Center
1 Volvo Drive
PO Box 914
Rockleigh, NJ 07647
[email protected]

·
Registered
7,822 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hey guys,

Know this is an older thread, but was this ever resolved? I, too, am at the end of my rope with Volvo “�Customer Care”�. I have a CPO XC60 with coverage ending in July, and we’ve been chasing a few issues for a year now. Dealer is somewhat incompetent, and customer care is simply reiterating what the dealer says, and not thinking for themselves.

Thanks!

Joe

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I, too, am curious as to what the disposition is of this vibration issue.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Hey guys,

Know this is an older thread, but was this ever resolved? I, too, am at the end of my rope with Volvo “�Customer Care”�. I have a CPO XC60 with coverage ending in July, and we’ve been chasing a few issues for a year now. Dealer is somewhat incompetent, and customer care is simply reiterating what the dealer says, and not thinking for themselves.

Thanks!

Joe
1. Try another dealer if this is an option....Not all dealers are created equal

2. What issues are you chasing down? I always recommend to people to break out your trusted cell phone and video the issue if at all possible. Then when you go to the dealer, you can show video evidence of the issue.

·
Registered
596 Posts
1. Try another dealer if this is an option....Not all dealers are created equal

2. What issues are you chasing down? I always recommend to people to break out your trusted cell phone and video the issue if at all possible. Then when you go to the dealer, you can show video evidence of the issue.
Thanks for the suggestions.

1. I may end up doing that. One issue is soon to resolve itself (see below), but the other not so much. Only problem is, dealerships are scarce around here. The current one is 2 hours away, and the only other is the same distance but in the other direction. Used to be one an hour away, but they've since dropped Volvo.

2. First issue is a steering wheel shake, occurs at ~70+ and has the wheel visibly shaking side-to-side. The continually try to blame my tires, despite having had three different sets on the car (original 20" Michelins, my 18" Conti snows, AND a brand new tire and wheel package from a 2020 lot car). Shake has been the same with all 3 sets, same speed and all. Yet they insist it's the tires, and Volvo backs them up, disregarding common sense. There is even more ridiculousness to this, but this is the skinny lol.

Second issue is a transmission flare on 1-2 upshift. Only occurs under very light throttle, and after ~20 minutes highway drive. They insist it shifts perfectly, and that it's "normal". Thing is, the transmission was flushed only 5k miles ago (not by this dealer, by the local dealer who is no more), yet the new fluid is a dark brown already. Was a full flush, not a simple drain and fill, so it shouldn't be dark due to residual fluid. Being a former Master tech with Volvo, I've done enough fluid flushes to know that it shouldn't be dark already, despite what Volvo is trying to tell me. Here again though, the FTS hasn't come out himself to look at the fluid or the car (despite my repeated requests for another set of eyes), Volvo is simply taking the dealerships word for everything being kosher with the car.

Now, the tire issue should work itself out soon, since I will be having new Pirellis mounted this week or next, and can throw it in their lap if it's still there. The transmission concerns me though, as any tech here knows, they can flare and never set a code. Dealer is saying without a code, they'll do nothing. I can see it becoming worse after warranty and being left to replace it at my expense.

For a little background, I bought the car from a private dealer in July 2018. Vibration was there since purchase, and am slowly chasing it down. Have replaced all 4 wheels with new Volvo, also both front axles and prop shaft. It's much improved, but not gone. Transmission issues seemingly started after Service 2.0 SW upgrades; first I had the "almost stopped downshift bump" with the new SW, then the current dealer reinstalled the old TCM SW to cure that. I've tried to record both issues, but they either don't care, or the phone camera can't catch them (for example, the shift; can't feel the car fall on it's face in the video, and it doesn't do it predictably, so it's hard to show them on a road test).

Thanks, sorry for the long reply

Joe

1 - 20 of 23 Posts