SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up an 06 S60 with 179k miles, been putting good fluid and trans tune in it but now I’ve determined the valve body is bad. I have an extra trans from an 02 XC I took the valve body out of, part # 9165 T1, but I’ve got the valve body exposed in the S60 and it’s a 9168 T7. My question is, will the spare one I have work in it’s place? Or is it not compatible? If it’s not, I have an 82k mile trans from an 07 60 that would probably find its way in the car (at least the valve body). Thanks for any help. Picture is the one from the 02, they look similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey there
I'm not an expert on transmissions but i do have some experience with these A-W auto boxes.
In your pic.. Do you see the 3 large solenoids laying on their side? The upper and lower are facing to the left and middle one is pointing to the right?
Try swapping just those solenoids from your known good tranny and drop them into your known hard shifting tranny.
That's all the advice I can give with the info you've provided but that's what worked for me.
It would be a shame not to have those solenoids cleaned and calibrated before you put them in but if they worked smooth before they should continue to work without sticking... fingers crossed ;-)
Stay curious my friend

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey there
I'm not an expert but this but i do have some experience with these AW auto boxes.
In your pic.. Do you see the 3 large solenoids laying on their side? The upper and lower are facing to the left and middle one is pointing to the right?
Try swapping just those solenoids from your known good tranny and drop them into your known hard shifting tranny.
That's all the advice I can give with the info you've provided but that's what worked for me.
It would be a shame not to have those solenoids cleaned and calibrated before you put them in but if they worked smooth before they should continue to work without sticking... fingers crossed ;-)
Stay curious my friend
Yeah I was thinking of this! It seemed to have shifted fine (fluid had been replaced before and it had about 125k on it), and I think this one was replaced because some chiseled in a date from 2010. I’ll take the gamble. Worst case scenario I’ll swap the transmission for my good one. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
144 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I have a reman'd B version valve body that would work if you end up needing one. Is the 9165 marked as an A?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I got the car all back together and it didn’t appear to work. 1st year revved like it was burning the clutch and would slip in first and second. Nothing worked even when I put the car in adapt mode via vida. I don’t think the car was happy. I replaced the transmission from an 07 s60.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts