SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've been lurking here for a while and have yet to find a specific post regarding the problem I encountered on a recent trip.<p>I am a first time Volvo owner. Been driving US and Japanese trucks most of my life. This Volvo is the first car that I've owned in 30 years. I bought it because my stepson was getting too big to ride in those silly jump seats they put in pick-ups. Another reason I went with Volvo was because of their record for safety and reliablilty.<p>Boy, have I gotten a rude awakening. My car, '01 V70 XC had 46K on it when I bought it. No Carfax damage history. It came to TX off a PA lease. It appears to have been well maintained and gently driven. It had a new set of Pirelli Scorpions and an up to date service record.<p>Had no problems (other than the fan recall) for about 20K miles. Had to replace one spark coil about a month ago. No big deal there. My wife drives the car most of the time and I keep a close eye on tire pressure, wear and etceteras.<p>We had to make a trip to MO last week. After driving 580 miles, I parked with the wheels turned and got a big shock. The insides of both front tires were nearly to the cord. The car handled fine but did dart a bit more than I thought it should. Took it to a local front end repair guy and he ran backwards like a trained rodeo horse. <p>He showed me that the control arm bushings were shot. <br>The car has 74K on the clock. Nearest Volvo dealer was a couple of hundred miles away. Called a couple of guys that worked on Volvos in the Springfield MO area and was quoted around $300 to replace the bushings on both sides.<p>Checked around a little closer and found a gent in Mountain Grove that said , "NO problem, bring it on.. Be $178 including the alignment if you want me to do that too." He has a great reputation and he did a great job. He did find a bad tie rod end and replaced that as well as rotate my tires for $310 all with Volvo parts. I was glad I found him because the dealership in Fort Worth quoted me $700 to replace the front end bushings!<p>Upon further discussion with my "friends" at the dealership, I was informed that the bushings are like the motor mounts and generally start failing at around 50K miles! FFS!!<p>So far, I've had a 20% failure rate on ignition stuff, A 100% failure rate of suspension stuff. (the rear is in the failure mode and had cupped the inside of the rear tires slightly. My top motor mount is broken and I'll replace it this week.<p>All of this in 74K miles and 5 years of vehicle life.<p>I REALLY like the car. It's a dream to travel in and it looks great. I drove BIG trucks for 3 million miles in a 28 year career. I feel better after a 500 mile trip in that rig than I ever did after herding a japanese pickup for half that distance. Fuel economy is awesome compared to what I've had in past and I've been very impressed by the power that little 5cyl motor churns out.<p>Thing that bothers me is this, I'd planned on driving this car until it's wheels fell off. I figured it would last a half million miles without too many problems. Am I an optimist? Am I going to have to rebuld the suspension every 50K to 70K miles? If so, it sure doesn't speak well of the legendary Volvo reliability. <p>How widespread or common is this suspension bushing problem? Can anyone illuminate me.<p>Thanks in advance for your time and all the information I've gotten here.<br>Willie

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Help with V70XC suspension issues. (Willie)

COMMON and normal for a Volvo<br>You can count on replacing suspension party every 50 to 70K or so, that's just the way it is.<br>If you want to do no repairs buy Japanese or in some cases American but Volvos have their issues and suspension is one of them.<br>Also unfortunately (for you), 2001's being a 1st year car have more issues than later cars do

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">COMMON and normal for a Volvo<br>You can count on replacing suspension party every 50 to 70K or so, that's just the way it is.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>That stinks. Oh well. Guess I need to find somebody closer to home to that type of work. The stealership is out of the question.<p>Thanks for the info.<p>I see you like red. The '56 Ford PU is VERY nicely done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: (Willie)

I replaced the bushings myself in my '01 XC70. Cost me $70 in parts from Volvo, and I rented the spring compressors for free from O'Riely Auto Parts. I then took it in for an alignment at $80. So for $150 and 4 hours of my time, it wasn't bad. Not only that, but if/when I have to do it again, I'm pretty sure I could do it in 2 hours no problem. I went slow and steady my first time to make sure I wasn't screwing anything up.<br>

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Front lower control arm bushings went on mine. I guess they've gone on everyone's '01's by now.<p>I don't know what the tech name for the rear busings are on these things but mine are going out as well.<p>As for doing them yourself? I'm not averse to pulling wrenches. Been doing it all my life, but that guy in MO that quoted me $178 INCLUDING the alignment sure got my vote.<p>Anybody in the AR or S. MO area see SCHROCK's Front End, Mtn Grove, MO for great prices and super friendly service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts