SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Well theres 2 kinds. The RS oil cooler has oil and water fittings that only fit the RNC cars. The "D5" oil cooler is what the P2 chassis cars can take because they have different fittings that originally came on diesel cars only for obvious reasons. Just take a look at the different in fittings between the RNC oil cooler and the RN D5 oil cooler that the P2 cars take. The difference is almost 100% in the style and angle of fittings. I'm fairly certain they're identical otherwise.
Oh yea I bought mine off of viva performance. Thought it would help regulate heat better and help me not crack a block. Fingers crossed

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Oh yea I bought mine off of viva performance. Thought it would help regulate heat better and help me not crack a block. Fingers crossed
If you really want to the oil level sensor allegedly has temp functionality buried in there too... Would be trivial to get the pinout and a datalogger to see real time oil temps. Something tells me they plateau at coolant temp...

On hot days the car is pulling timing even stock... good fuel and changing the plugs every 30k will make your life better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
If you really want to the oil level sensor allegedly has temp functionality buried in there too... Would be trivial to get the pinout and a datalogger to see real time oil temps. Something tells me they plateau at coolant temp...

On hot days the car is pulling timing even stock... good fuel and changing the plugs every 30k will make your life better.
I have a obd2 cfe+ i can see my boost pressure. Coolant temp. Transmission temp. Oil temp and bunch more. I'm not so sure the engine one is updating well but the coolant one seems to be going up in temp and it stay consistent

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I disagree its carbon buildup causing pre-ignition severe enough for cracking cylinders. I agree shims do nothing.

The issue is a shim that fits without a huge delta-t at installation (like heat the block to 200F and cool the shim to -200F) is not providing the intended effect of a thicker cylinder wall (to counter the hoop stress). If you can get it in without a delta-t then there is still a gap and lets assume its .002"?

Each time you have combustion in that cylinder you have an increase in hoop stress (do this over and over hundreds of times per minute) and getting it hotter--more boost--makes it worse because there's more pressure in the cylinder to make more power.

I doubt the actual magnitude of deformation of the cylinder due to stress is more than .001" (probably really like .0001") so that .002-.001=.002" (at best) gap that still exists means the shim does nothing.
Your assumptions are completely wrong and you can see it clearly in my photo. CTE of 356 (or equivalent) aluminum alloy is significantly greater than either the iron cylinder sleeve or the 3XX stainless shim, putting the shim in compression when the engine is at operating temp. This has absolutely nothing to do with combustion temp assuming the cooling system works as designed. Look closely at the shim in this photo and you can see the deformation caused by inner-cylinder dynamics (detonation, boost, heat) exerting a force on the cylinders and attempting to close the water channel occupied by the shim.

Photo don’t lie and properly installed shims work. This is why Ben incorporates a shim in his block guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: BDawksS60r

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Just to reiterate… shims must be properly installed. The shims in this engine were installed before decking, followed by a finish hone to spec against actual piston diameters using CJ’s steel deck plate.

You don’t need this rigor, but the shims must be .035” to create an interference fit. And no, the gaps don’t vary…. They are extremely consistent at .9mm (.035”). Anything less than .035” means the passages need additional cleaning or have started to collapse and need to be gently opened back up with incrementally larger feeler gauges until you can fit the proper shim.

You can see the process in Julien Malschaert’s video when I shimmed Tinkerbell’s block.

·
Registered
2006 477 V70R 108k Miles
74 Posts
Your assumptions are completely wrong and you can see it clearly in my photo. CTE of 356 (or equivalent) aluminum alloy is significantly greater than either the iron cylinder sleeve or the 3XX stainless shim, putting the shim in compression when the engine is at operating temp. This has absolutely nothing to do with combustion temp assuming the cooling system works as designed. Look closely at the shim in this photo and you can see the deformation caused by inner-cylinder dynamics (detonation, boost, heat) exerting a force on the cylinders and attempting to close the water channel occupied by the shim.

Photo don’t lie and properly installed shims work. This is why Ben incorporates a shim in his block guard.

The only problem I see with this is that even Ben's motors that get shimmed crack from time to time. Maybe this is because the block was already cracked or something; conditions of which I'm not really fully aware of. Owen Dodd recently had his R blow up on him after a full rollingmotors job, including a shimmed block. Block cracked, switching to an 81mm bore. Owen was super disappointed. Ben himself was even shocked. I'm pretty new to the whole shim argument, but that's my cup of tea. But I guess even the professionals do indeed mess up from time to time.
My block was cracked and I switched to an 81mm bore. Didn't want to have to worry about that anymore, especially running barely more power than stock.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
The only problem I see with this is that even Ben's motors that get shimmed crack from time to time. Maybe this is because the block was already cracked or something; conditions of which I'm not really fully aware of. Owen Dodd recently had his R blow up on him after a full rollingmotors job, including a shimmed block. Block cracked, switching to an 81mm bore. Owen was super disappointed. Ben himself was even shocked. I'm pretty new to the whole shim argument, but that's my cup of tea. But I guess even the professionals do indeed mess up from time to time.
My block was cracked and I switched to an 81mm bore. Didn't want to have to worry about that anymore, especially running barely more power than stock.
Understand. You shimmed your new 81mm block right? They fail without shims also.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
No matter what you do, 81mm 83mm shimmed or not shimmed. The bottom line is poor tuning or component failure will lead to catastrophic failure. Staying on top of your hardware and knowing your car will go a long way toward longevity. Pushing anything to the limits has the implied requirement of failure. Push it, grenade it, learn and repeat. If you can't handle that you should try knitting.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Ben is a very credible guy and does good work. I would question if “Bens motors that crack from time to time” have an a common tuner. Detonation kills.

·
Registered
2006 477 V70R 108k Miles
74 Posts
Ben is a very credible guy and does good work. I would question if “Bens motors that crack from time to time” have an a common tuner. Detonation kills.

I"m pretty sure Stevo tunes most of what Ben builds. I know Stevo is probably the best ME7 tuner out there (based on what I've heard), along with ContrastWorks. Seems like they all pop motors here and there, no matter who you choose. Anyway, I am unsure if that's who Owen used. I'd have to check in with him on that.
I have no mistrust in Ben either, after all I just did some business with him for my R; K24 71mm hybrid, catchcan, and some other goodies. He's a great guy and does very honest and great work as you stated.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts