SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone new to the forum. 2007 S60r 136k
Looking for some help about shimming, possibly sometime soon. I was thinking of using feeler gauges instead of actual shims due to the fact that i dont really have time to take the head off measure the gap and then have the car sit until I can order a set compared to using feeler gauges right then. I also daily the car. Has anyone else went down the feeler gauge way?

·
Registered
2006 S60R. gt, nordikap
22 Posts
You could order 4 of each (.03-.033) of the most common size shims. wait to receive them before taking it apart. And you could have it back together same day.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Its definitely been done, there's a thread on here called "my car was reviewed by a youtuber" or something along those lines and if I remember correctly he used feeler gauges as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Waste of time and money. There's no reason to take the head off to do this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Waste of time and money. There's no reason to take the head off to do this.
[
Its definitely been done, there's a thread on here called "my car was reviewed by a youtuber" or something along those lines and if I remember correctly he used feeler gauges as well.

Cant seem to find that post

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

That was me. I used Lysle feeler gauges from Amazon.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That was me. I used Lysle feeler gauges from Amazon.
So besides the feeler gauges what else would i need?. Probably need gasket and something to hold the shoms in place. Also would i have to bend the sides to fit it in, seen people do that on youtube.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
It will not prevent the block from cracking and serves no real purpose except to make you feel better. It's like 12 hours of work to do the head gasket for no reason... If you need to replace the head gasket your block is already cracked.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Why do you say this?
See above:

It will not prevent the block from cracking and serves no real purpose except to make you feel better. It's like 12 hours of work to do the head gasket for no reason... If you need to replace the head gasket your block is already cracked.

·
3,958 Posts
Shims are hit or miss, sometimes they work. I've seen a few R's last way past where they should because of them. If you haven't cracked your block at 130K+ it can't hurt if your savvy with R's. So many people blowing up R's lately.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm in the process of shimming mine right now, I'm using feeler gauges. Also unless you have replaced your injector and coil harness, be prepared to do so. Mine were crusty/cracking and has delayed me a few days.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Or, you could just buy a set ready to go. The slots are .035 and are cut with a slitting saw. These shims are .035 and are 304 Stainless Steel with the locks already bent and are cheaper than buying feeler gauges.

·
Registered
17,718 Posts
Shims are hit or miss, sometimes they work. I've seen a few R's last way past where they should because of them. If you haven't cracked your block at 130K+ it can't hurt if your savvy with R's. So many people blowing up R's lately.
Shims “work” because people clean the pistons and head when they do them, thus removing the carbon that causes pre-ignition. Until it comes back. Seen plenty of shimmed blocks crack some time later. Stuffing metal in that slot thy is a fit for fit at room temperature and applies at best a distributed side load does nothing to reinforce or augment the hoop stresses the liner outer surface experiences.

If it helps you sleep at night.....

·
3,958 Posts
Most of the time we don't shim but some higher milage, tuned R's are still running and odd's are those blocks should be gone by now. However
Stuffing metal in that slot thy is a fit for fit at room temperature and applies at best a distributed side load does nothing to reinforce or augment the hoop stresses the liner outer surface experiences.
this is entirely your opinion not fact. This is exactly the problem with forums, people who don't do work on these daily spout opinions or few off experiences.

These blocks ALWAYS fail in the same spots, EVERY SINGLE TIME. We're currently doing 5 blocks including my own and all have failed either between 1/2, 2/3, 3/4 or 4/5. The amount of Carbon that comes off the cylinders and head is negligible at best. If it all it required was a carbon cleaning not to break, we would be doing WAY more of them, the info would be out there and be more well known at this point. I understand your point about the liner but liner don't just puncture, it needs room to do that, this is the point of the shim. I understand if your paying a mechanic to do shims it's one thing but for those who do work themselves and plan on modifying these engines (esp boost levels), this is probably the only solution worth a shot once your over that 100k mark.

As far as sleeping at night, if we all listened people yelling about never trying alternative solutions my C63 would have the same friggin cam adjuster problem it came with from the factory. Luckily, enough people stood up, said we need something better and generated enough market demand for a WAY better fix. Shout out to 63 motorsports for fixing what AMG should have done from the gecko instead of telling customers to buy a whole new valve train. I sleep so much better now, about 4,500$ better.

Reactions: Jesse.Skulls

·
Registered
125k 2007 Volvo V70R- SOLD, 1990 Volvo 760 Turbo
123 Posts
I’ve been on the same train as you, and I also want to “sleep better at night”. At least from all my reading, it doesn’t seem like shimming necessarily hurts the block, but as for its effects, I’m not sure. Personally, after talking with my Indy, he said it’s just silly when people throw these ridiculous tunes at these cars when they’re already so vulnerable, shimmed or not. These cars are so great and fun from the factory, and if you treat it like the imperfect but beautiful machine it is, (meaning not throwing 24 freaking pounds of boost at it), it should treat you right.

One thing that seems like it might have a positive effect on the car is water/meth. Bringing cooler air into the engine and (hopefully) keeping engine temperature down seems like it protect the block a bit more.

now one thing, (and I know this isn’t possible for you with this being your daily) is sleeving the block (expensive), or I’ve been intrigued by this

Reactions: Jesse.Skulls
1 - 20 of 50 Posts