SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any help from the experts in this forum would be greatly appreciated. I am going to quit trying to calibrate until I have a better path forward, here is my current status, please read below. Thanks in advance.

I am kind of stuck in the middle of a tranny swap gone bad. I bought a 2002 V70 2.4T FWD that had a bad AW55-50SN tranny, and I planned to move the good tranny from my wife's 2002 V70 2.3 T5, which had suffered a failed cylinder. I installed a new set of Rostra updated SLT, SLS, and SLU solenoids on a bench which full access to all the electrical connections and fasteners before installing the good tranny on my wife's "new" 2002 V70 2.4T. I drilled access holes in the oil pan so I could adjust them per the Rostra instructions. The holes are plugged between adjustments. This was on a transmission that was working well before it was installed. It seems no matter how far I unscrew the SLT, I get a bang when shifting from 2 to 3. And I get another bump when it downshifts from 3 back to 2. I have not touched the SLS or SLU from the factory setting. I was planning on getting the solenoids adjusted perfectly this way, then installing an intact oil pan from my bad tranny. But I am getting nowhere fast. I followed some YouTube instructions of Hiram Guitierez and plugged an oil pressure gauge into the pressure port, and it was around 90psi, and it would not reduce when unscrewing the SLT. I have no idea why it was not closer to 5psi. I am a shade tree mechanic, I do not have a VIDA computer diagnostics tool. Any ideas on where I should go from here?

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
From my understanding, if there is a stored transmission code then the TCM will engage a high pressure strategy. You should have VIDA to properly diagnose codes, reset adaption/fluid counter, and read fluid temp for proper level adjustment.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rostra woes

From my understanding, if there is a stored transmission code then the TCM will engage a high pressure strategy. You should have VIDA to properly diagnose codes, reset adaption/fluid counter, and read fluid temp for proper level adjustment.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
I backed the SLT solenoid out so far the screw fell out. Removing the SLT this morning and starting over, this time with just a screwdriver and a few adaptation garage shifts and spins around the block. Unfortunately I do not have all of the fancy tools you suggest would be required. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Success! With a new SLT installed, I was able to adjust it just about 7 clicks in to get the 2-3 flare under control. The screw from the previous SLT was in the oil pan, and the spring and clip were still in the bore, so at least I did not FOD the tranny. Lowering the subframe in front really made this easy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A final update. I tried to adjust the SLS solenoid to make the 2-3 shift a little less abrupt, but two clicks out made the 2-3 flare come back. So my final adjustment, which may be the best I can do given that the tranny/valve body has 190K on it, was 7 clicks in on the SLT. The SLU, which controls the overdrive engagement seems to be dead nuts on, did not need adjustment. So down the road we go again. My wife is not happy she has to drive a car with 190K on it, but my kids are thrilled, this V70 has two medium booster seats and one really tall one in the middle that may be intended as an arm rest, and it has the two seat jumpseat in the hatch area. Plus I added my custom made class 3 hitch for the bike rack. Woohoo!!!

I do have another tranny on the floor that was removed during this two car tranny swap, it has somewhat reasonable shifting when cold, but when hot it can barely get home. Would a rebuilt valve body fix this set of symptoms? Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts