SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting frustrated. Following the rear wheel bearing replacement procedure posted up in the mod index. calipers, rotors, bolts all came out easily. Axle is not frozen inside the bearing which is awesome, but the hub will just not separate. I first started with using pb blaster and letting it soak. I then used a rubber mallet and began to tap all around. Light taps got progressively harder to the point where my rubber mallet started to lose rubber chunks. I then progressed to a hammer and still nothing. Got out a small chisel and began to hit the bearing in clockwise and counter clockwise directions placing the chisel in the bolt holes. Nothing. Did this for about an hour and a half and it just wont move. Any advice on where to go from here?

I have the part all ready to go in, and I was thinking about giving it to the dealer, BUT in nashville mechanics will not touch parts bought by the customers BECAUSE of the amount of liability due to all the lawsuits in the past couple years, according to 3 different volvo garages I talked to today and 2 independents. HELP!!?

Anthony

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Where the bolt holes are on the bearing, use a chisel and hammer to hit the bearing in that spot. Hit it clockwise a couple hard hits then hit it counterclockwise a couple times. Keep going back and fourth and see if you can get a pry bar in to pry it off.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anthony,

Are you referring to this thread? How-to-Change-rear-wheel-bearing-(hub)-&-wheel-speed-sensor-tons-of-photos...

I started small as you did. I worked up to a 3-lb sledgehammer. I also soaked it with PB blaster the night before starting work. Did you try the prybar as pictured?
How hard can I go on this thing? If i bought a 3lb sledge would I be doing any damage to anything else if i hit it really hard? And no I have not tried the prybar, i need to go pick one up

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
How hard can I go on this thing? If i bought a 3lb sledge would I be doing any damage to anything else if i hit it really hard? And no I have not tried the prybar, i need to go pick one up
You can pound pretty bloody hard! Notice how much I deformed the threaded holes in the bearing. I knew I wasn't going to use the bearing again, so I didn't really care how much it got damaged. Also notice how much I deformed the disc that the rotor hub mates to. See how mushroomed the corners are by the nuts that the lugbolts engage.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can pound pretty bloody hard! Notice how much I deformed the threaded holes in the bearing. I knew I wasn't going to use the bearing again, so I didn't really care how much it got damaged. Also notice how much I deformed the disc that the rotor hub mates to. See how mushroomed the corners are by the nuts that the lugbolts engage.
thanks for the advice i appreciate it! I am off to buy a 3lb sledge and chisel in the morning to beat the hell out of it!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
That's crazy that it's seized up on the knuckle like that. When I replaced all 4 of mine they just fell out as soon as the last bolt came out. If I were you I would rent a puller and be done with it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fixed finally!!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sweet! I tackle mine next week, i wonder if I'll be making a trip to the store for a sledge.
good idea! I recommend a 3lb sledge. And dont be afraid to hit it as hard as possible. I was scared of breaking something else but then just got angry and about 10 hits as hard as i could then poof.....the thing came right off!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts