SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lost all power assist today. When I stopped, reservoir was nearly dry. I believe it was a sudden leak because there was fluid sprayed on all adjacent parts. Here's' what it looked like:

I put a few more ounces of fluid in, started it up and tried to find the leak, but to no avail. All it did was spray me and the engine bay with more fluild! There serpentine belt is completely soaked. Would like to get an accurate diagnosis instead of just throwing parts at it. Everything within range of the serp. belt is soaked. The rack is dry, except the passenger side which looks to be wet because of the serp. belt. Any body got any tips or ideas to diagnose? Is there anything in VIDA that would help?

'07 SR with 75k miles.

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
1,280 Posts
I would check to make sure the pressure hose isn't making contact with your serpentine belt - Sounds simple but you'd be surprised how many times I've seen this happen. The Bracket that the hose sits into is very flimsy and can easily be bent. Other than that, it's the usual - split reservoir, loose clamps, split hose, etc.

Here's a link to a replacement kit on our website - scroll down on the page and there's an install video, of myself, which may give you a better feel for the system and its replacement.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vo...0-xc70-s80-genuine-volvo-kit-p2steeringkit2p6

If you still have any questions feel free to email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would check to make sure the pressure hose isn't making contact with your serpentine belt - Sounds simple but you'd be surprised how many times I've seen this happen. The Bracket that the hose sits into is very flimsy and can easily be bent. Other than that, it's the usual - split reservoir, loose clamps, split hose, etc.

Here's a link to a replacement kit on our website - scroll down on the page and there's an install video, of myself, which may give you a better feel for the system and its replacement.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vo...0-xc70-s80-genuine-volvo-kit-p2steeringkit2p6

If you still have any questions feel free to email me at [email protected]
Haha. I watched your video as soon as I saw what had leaked out! I have always gotten my parts from FCP, and am a very satisfied customer!

Filled reservoir up. Nothing leaked out. It only leaks when engine is running. My first thought was the reservoir or hoses, from reading several threads on here about it. Will either of those leak without the engine running? What is the best way to test the pump for leaks? It is hard to see anything in there while running with the serp belt slinging fluid!

·
Registered
675 Posts
The seal on the pump is your issue. The seal is behind the pulley that's why it sprays. Buy a good used or new pump. You should be able to change it in less than 30 min. It happened to me a while back and it made such a mess.

You will also need a new belt. Socked with hydraulic fluid from the ps will make it all gummy.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Buy a used pump will cost you like$70 to $100 bucks plus a o ring or rebuilt new for $120

·
Registered
438 Posts
My rebuilt unit was $260. Nobody was able to really say if the regular s60 unit would fit. I got the ZF unit as I play to see this car at 250k miles in my driveway still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
You can use a XC90 pump, they are the same. The standard S60 pump pulley is smaller I believe and is rated a lower pressure.

·
Registered
438 Posts
HRM. I almost want lower pressure as I feel the assist I get now is stupid strong.

That said, I got the correct one and Pentosin CHF to fill it up with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
675 Posts
I got a used xc 90 pump off eBay for like 80 bucks with 60k miles of on it for my R

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
OP,
Did you ever resolve this? If you weren't able to locate a leak up top from the reservoir, pump, or their hoses then you might try jacking up the car and taking a look at the pressurized P/S hose(s) that run along the passenger side of the subframe. Last year I had a someone work on the car who forgot to re-bind those lines to the subframe at the end of the job. The result is that the loose P/S pressure hose rubs against the timing belt. The timing belt burns through the hose and P/S fluid goes everywhere. If you find that either hose is contacting your belt, then you've likely found the source of your problem.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I believe you mean it hits the accessory belt, but otherwise correct as far as to a potential cause of a leak like this.
Correct, that was a mis-statement. The belt rubs through the hose and not only does the internal pressure force fluid out, but the spinning belt itself carries P/S fluid up from the bottom of the engine bay to the top, spraying it everywhere and making it that much harder to track down the leak. I had to replace 30636307.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haven't resolved it yet, but I'm leaning towards the pump. I will have some time this weekend to further diagnose. Will definitely check that pressure line again.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
**Update**

Finally had some time to poke around, and found the culprit. Hard to get a good pic, but this hose:

It was rubbing against that pulley. That is the A/C pulley. It looks like a pain to replace.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anybody know what size this torx bolt is on the serp. belt tensioner? I don't have one short enough to fit.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
T60 on the tensioner to release tension. From the pic it looks like you are looking at something different.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

1 - 20 of 25 Posts