SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So first of all I’m not too mechanically inclined, however I’ve had a few guys over who are helping me, and they’re at a loss too. So my 2012 S60 T5 won’t start. I was having some small issues, like the AC compressor went out, and then the accessories belt, and the alternator belt came off as well. One time we put a new alternator belt on, and left the Acc belt and AC compressor alone because it was winter. The car ran fine for a few months, and then threw the alternator belt off again. We changed it, and it came off the very next day. This time it was going to be warmer, so I decided to change out the AC compressor and both belts. Everything was on, and when the mechanic working on the car went to start it, all we get is the belts moving like they should but it sounds like it’s not getting any spark. We put the diagnostic computer on it and it gave the code P0340 that it either had either a bad cam shaft position sensor, or something to do with those sensors, or a weak battery. I charged the battery up, and cleared the code, but it still doesn’t start. I bought and changed tbe cam shaft position sensors myself, and ran a diagnostic and it said nothing. I kept trying to start it, and nothing. I tried the computer again and no codes at first and then after a few attempts and failed starts, and then it came up with P0340 again. Nobody seems to have a clue as to the problem. Can anyone please help my?? What could be wrong? The timing belt spins. So I don’t think that’s the issue.

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
How old is the battery?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s brand new. The serpentine belt issue pretty much drained it. But it’s been recharged again and again.

·
Registered
722 Posts
If it keeps throwing the P0340 code, it's still having problems either with that sensor or its wiring. The fact that the code came back after you reset it suggests that there's still an issue with the ECM not getting the signal it expects from the cam sensor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does it make sense that this problem would have happened at the exact time that the alternator belt came off and broke?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Does it make sense that this problem would have happened at the exact time that the alternator belt came off and broke?
I have seen broken accessory belts take out portions of a wiring harness when they snap if a frayed part of the belt was flopping around or if the whole belt flew off. It's rare, but it has happened.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Your timing is off. Hopefully not enough to bend valves. But all the ones I've seen had bent valves.

The drive belt shredded and got sucked into the timing belt.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Your tensioner failed. The belt started to walk. Then shredded. Some of that got caught in the timing and likely bent valves.

·
Registered
505 Posts
sorry to hijack...but this is how i learn, and hearing this stuff alerts me. I have a 2012, s60, t5 with 58,000 miles on it. Purchased from a dealership, used with about 27,000 on it. I have not replaced this tensioner, or the accessory belt. So, should I ? I know the physical signs of belt wear ,but this belt is hard to see underneath, the backside of.

·
Registered
753 Posts
sorry to hijack...but this is how i learn, and hearing this stuff alerts me. I have a 2012, s60, t5 with 58,000 miles on it. Purchased from a dealership, used with about 27,000 on it. I have not replaced this tensioner, or the accessory belt. So, should I ? I know the physical signs of belt wear ,but this belt is hard to see underneath, the backside of.
First off, sorry to hear of the OP's problem. The original timing belt tensioner on the 2012 is crap. It has plastic and can fail. Of course it's a roll of the dice. I was not lucky either. New one (Part # 30637955) we just put on is ALL METAL and has been updated...good job Volvo

Second, the serpentine belt tensioner (part # 31258153) failed on us last night while trying to get the new serpentine/drive belt on. Not a big deal, but still. The star shaped adjustable area looks like metal..but again Volvo...not all metal...it broke while trying to adjust it to get the belt on. $40 online on FCP Euro

Shines like metal, but is a cheap metallic composite..very weak...disappointing. Will call the dealer and check their price. May even visit my local Volvo dealer...lots of turnover there I hear.

I thought my 2012 was not effected by Geely takeover....are these Geely cars or Moose-strength Volvo ?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
First off, sorry to hear of the OP's problem. The original timing belt tensioner on the 2012 is crap. It has plastic and can fail. Of course it's a roll of the dice. I was not lucky either. New one (Part # 30637955) we just put on is ALL METAL and has been updated...good job Volvo

Second, the serpentine belt tensioner (part # 31258153) failed on us last night while trying to get the new serpentine/drive belt on. Not a big deal, but still. The star shaped adjustable area looks like metal..but again Volvo...not all metal...it broke while trying to adjust it to get the belt on. $40 online on FCP Euro

Shines like metal, but is a cheap metallic composite..very weak...disappointing. Will call the dealer and check their price. May even visit my local Volvo dealer...lots of turnover there I hear.

I thought my 2012 was not effected by Geely takeover....are these Geely cars or Moose-strength Volvo ?
If the tensiomer broke when trying to get the belt on, either it was the wrong size torx or the belt wasn't on straight, causing the installer to try loosening the tensioner more than it should be.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If the tensiomer broke when trying to get the belt on, either it was the wrong size torx or the belt wasn't on straight, causing the installer to try loosening the tensioner more than it should be.
All I know is that it broke. He didn't overly exert the torx driver on the star shaped corner. Upon examining the broken piece it's a hollow type of metal used in furniture assembly. Very light and brittle metallic composite, not solid metal. I'm not sure if the tensioner calls for replacement when new drive belt is installed.

Just came back from dealer where the part is listed at $125. FCP Euro carries it for $40...not sure if same quality grade so I negotiated the part down to an employee discount rate at the dealer, $74

Replacing the tensioner and trying to get the belt on later

1 - 17 of 17 Posts