SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2005 S60R passenger-side bumper cover has been pulled off too many times by getting hooked on a parking block. I finally bolted the bumper to itself under the license plate so it will not come off short of ripping the engine block with it!

Anyways.. one of the causalities of the bumper cover coming off is the passenger fog light falling out and shattering on the ground. I replaced the fog light without removing the fragile bumper cover (PITA), but there is no power in the wiring harness. I checked the fuse and it is still good, so there must be a broken connection somewhere between the fuse box and the fog light wire harness.

Can anyone direct me to a wiring diagram of where the wires go from the fog light? I can't even see what happens after they go up next to the washer reservoir. (I tried getting the reservoir out so I could see better but I couldn't figure out how to get it out after losing the bolt on the bottom.)

I'm guessing the wires got pulled when the bumper cover came off and are broken/disconnected somewhere on the passenger side.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Did you check if power was getting to the plug? Turn on the fogs (the driver's side fog light should be on) and check voltage going to passenger side plug (without fog light attached). No reason to go up the line yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I wasn't clear. Yes, I turned on the fog lights, the driver side one went on, the passenger side didn't. I checked the plug on the passenger side one and there is no power on the passenger side plug.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Are you sure you checked the correct fuse? They are independent for L/R fogs, passenger's side should be #18 under the steering column.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
agreed, we have 2 fuses for foglights, one right after the other but not sure location, left and right fuse. GL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. I actually switched fuses 17 and 18 to see if the problem was fuse related. The right fog light stayed on even after switching, indicating the fuses are ok.

·
Registered
796 Posts
You'll have to pull the front bumper off to see the harness connector. It goes from the body of the car to a connector attached to the inside of the bumper cover and then from there to the fog light itself..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The bumper cover is very difficult to remove (now). Can you tell me approximately where the fog light harness is in the cover? I can reach in and access most of the area behind the cover.

Where is it in the body of the car? It might be easier to rewire from that spot.

Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks like that would be right behind the washer reservoir on the passenger side. When I installed the foglight with the bumper on, I could see up where the bracket goes, but I didn't see any harnesses. I'll check again. I wonder if it got pulled off when the bumper got pulled off?

Do you know where the wires come from in the body of the car?

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
It looks like that would be right behind the washer reservoir on the passenger side. When I installed the foglight with the bumper on, I could see up where the bracket goes, but I didn't see any harnesses. I'll check again. I wonder if it got pulled off when the bumper got pulled off?

Do you know where the wires come from in the body of the car?

Just take the front bumper cover off and take a look around, it literally takes 10 mins to do with simple tools. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?161285 Takes away all the second guessing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After loosing the passenger-side bumper and looking inside, ends up that the harness I was looking for is the one that was already hanging below the car. There's a lot of extra slack in the wires, and the harness can easily hang 6" below the bumper if it gets unclipped from the bumper (as in my case).

I tested the power and traced the problem to the new fog light harness. The wiring that came with the fog light had a loose connection at the fog light. After some finagling, I was able to make the connection work and all is good.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts