SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the S60 board, but I know that V70s often have the same radios. Hopefully someone here has experience with this:

I've been searching this for forum (and others) for a couple days trying to make sure I have everything figured out for putting an aftermarket stereo in my 2006 S60R with HU-850, but I'm coming up a bit short. I bought the Metra 70-9221 harness, and the green harness fits fine. The gray one, however, doesn't fit. After calling Metra tech support, the guy suggested buying the 9220 harness (even though the packaging says it's only good through 2004). The gray side of the 9220 was closer to the right shape, but just a bit (~1-2mm) too small to accept the factory wiring harness. I have a few questions if anyone would be able to help out:

- The gray harness looks like it's all speaker wires. I plan on using the DIN-to-RCA converter to plug into the RCAs on the new head unit. Does the Amp DIN send all of the audio signals to the amp? Do I even need the gray harness?

- If I do need the wires in the gray harness, should I just cut plastic harness off then splice all of the leads to the corresponding leads for the new head unit?

Thanks for any help.

On another note:

- Is the violet/white lead going into the HU-850 a reverse signal (manual transmission)? I have a multimeter, but I'm afraid to turn the car on with the radio removed to test it. I don't want to bring in any SRS lights.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
The grey harness on the basic kit goes straight to the speakers. The HU850 is not amplified, so it has a different connector that sends the outputs to the amp under the passenger seat. If you want to bypass that, then you probably should be OK. IDK since I had the HU603 which is internally amplified.
I'll be truthful, though. I really didn't spend a whole lot of time staring at the wires on the car-side of the connectors when I did mine.
But don't forget your antenna adaptor!

And I would also suggest making this request in the R forum. Every R has either the HU803 (04) or HU850, so every member there who did the conversion wenth through this experience.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I did get the antenna adapter. I also posted in the R forum, but there aren't any bites there yet. So what's the signal path if there's a connection from the HU to the speakers and a connection from the HU to the amp? Does the signal go from the HU to the amp, then back to the HU, then out to the speakers? I found an old post with a link to a comprehensive wiring diagram, but Volvo got the guy to take it down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts