SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help with HU-850 to aftermarket conversion
Hey, all. I've been searching this for forum (and others) for a couple days trying to make sure I have everything figured out for putting an aftermarket stereo in my 2006 S60R with HU-850, but I'm coming up a bit short. I bought the Metra 70-9221 harness, and the green harness fits fine. The gray one, however, doesn't fit. After calling Metra tech support, the guy suggested buying the 9220 harness (even though the packaging says it's only good through 2004). The gray side of the 9220 was closer to the right shape, but just a bit (~1-2mm) too small to accept the factory wiring harness. I have a few questions if anyone would be able to help out:

- The gray harness looks like it's all speaker wires. I plan on using the DIN-to-RCA converter to plug into the RCAs on the new head unit. Does the Amp DIN send all of the audio signals to the amp? Do I even need the gray harness?

- If I do need the wires in the gray harness, should I just cut plastic harness off then splice all of the leads to the corresponding leads for the new head unit?

Thanks for any help.

On another note:

- Is the violet/white lead going into the HU-850 a reverse signal (manual transmission)? I have a multimeter, but I'm afraid to turn the car on with the radio removed to test it. I don't want to bring in any SRS lights.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
You need the amp integration harness. What ever you do, do not buy the cheap ones of eBay. Let me find the link to the good one I found.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/ARH-VOL.html

The cheap eBay harnesses are nothing but garbage. Mine didn't even make it back into the dash before it broke. The warranty they have is 14 days, so they wouldn't even cover it.

This harness is built much better, you can tell this by looking it over in your hands.

You want to keep the factory amp, as its pretty good and you will lose volume if delete it (that's what the other harness your thing to hook up does, all the twisted pairs of wires are speaker wires that bypass the amp).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. So if I use the amp-to-RCA converter, I don't need to worry about the gray harness at all? I can just leave those wires dangling behind the dash and the signal will get to the speakers from the amp? Is that right?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Yep, I just use 3m Super 33 plus tape to wrap stuff like that up and tuck it away in the dash, out of the way of everything that has to go back in with the new HU.

Also if your deck has them you can use high pass crossover to limit the amount of low bass going to the mid range speakers in the car when you have a sub.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. Incidentally, the RCA converter came in the mail today. It included instructions that said the gray harness in the 70-9221 harness wasn't needed for HU-series stereos. That would've been great information a week ago. Oh well. I think I have all the parts now (antenna adapater, wiring harness--green only, AXXESS ACSM-1, parking brake bypass, and plastic dash kit). I already routed the microphone cable (inside of the overhead console with the moonroof controls) and the GPS antenna (A-pillar), so hopefully putting the new stereo in this weekend will go relatively quickly.

I successfully managed to avoid the airbag light last weekend with everything apart. Hopefully I can repeat my luck. I even managed to get the 90-degree, twisting clasp on the A-pillar off and back on again without breaking anything.

·
Registered
2006 Volvo V70R, Black Saffire on Acatama interior, 18" Pegs, Kenwood DMX7706s, 2xJL10W134
5 Posts
Also if your deck has them you can use high pass crossover to limit the amount of low bass going to the mid range speakers in the car when you have a sub.
Hi, I saw this comment. Is there a reason for doing this?

Not sure if related but sometime i get a constant hum when I open a door or move in the driver's seat. It is noticeable even at Vol 1 on the HU. Is that from the factory amp?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts