SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own an 07 V70R. For the past few weeks i have a passenger side drl not working intermittently. It doesn't work and sometimes restarting the car works. I switched sides (bulbs) and the bulbs are fine. Anyone have an idea of what can be wrong? Wires seem to be fine at a quick glance. Hoping someone has experienced a similar issue and can save me some time . I tried searching but came up with nothing.
Thanks in advance

·
2,521 Posts
Halogen bulbs? If so inspect plugs n wires then replace the bulbs

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are no ballasts as its my drl's acting up and I've inspected the wire harness and everything seems ok, are there seperete fuses for left and right Maybe, something I'm missing?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I had this issue and installed a new connector on the side that was acting up and have not had an issue since.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Ah, didn't realize you meant the halogens instead of the xenon ones. If swapping bulbs didn't change anything, check the socket for corrosion of the contact areas for the bulbs. Seems that 99% of the time for intermittent incandescent bulbs that ends up being the issue.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool I'll try the connector itself, the main one to the headlight or just the one on the drl?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Yes the socket/ plug to drl.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok perfect, i brought a volt Meter to work with me and later i Will check if power is getting to the socket. Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so i checked with my volt meter and there is no power getting to the drl bulb. Not even before the plug. I have power at the main headlight plug but not on the other end. I checked as much as I can but I believe my next step would be removing the headlight and opening it, a job I really didn't want to do but seems like I have no choice. Unless someone else has an idea

·
2,521 Posts
Well there isnt a direct smooth current going to the bulb. Volvo uses this technology (forgot the name) that basically blasts voltage multiple times a second which helps the bulbs last longer. So you wont get a smooth perpetual flow of volts or it may not pick up at all. In your case it sounds like something aint right with the wires moreso

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Since you haven't done an HID conversion (which our caRs don't like on DRLs), the next issue in my experience is corrosion, usually with aftermarket high-output halogen bulbs. Examine the connectors and the bulb pins, both of which may look 'burt' (mine actually melted on one side.) If they look Ok, swap the bulbs first to see if the trouble remains on the same side and, if so, replace the connector anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Like i said i already tried swapping bulbs, problem prosists on the same side, and it's not the connector there is no power before the connector. Power
stops at the main plug outside the headlight

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Small update, the problem has become even more weird now. I have 11v at my plug going into the headlight but not in the headlight, so I figure the wires inside are bad. I then tried jumping them with wires, I have 11v at the end of my wires but when I plug them directly to the bulb I still get no light, it's not the bulb, I switched sides and it works fine . Even tried 3 other bulbs too be sure. How can I have power but the bulb still won't go on ???? I'm stumped now. And just to help I also now have a headlight service requires and my lights point straight down, sometimes this happens After 5 min of driving sometimes after 30 min. But the 1 side drl never works .

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Sounds like a CEM problem - check it on VIDA for codes or take it to the dealership.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sounds like a CEM problem - check it on VIDA for codes or take it to the dealership.

i dont have vida, was actually trying to find someone local who could help me out with that, also wanted to disable drl while in there

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Another update: apparently I mixed up the wires when testing. I now have the right wires and the wiring inside the headlight is fine, checked continuity. There is no power getting to the headlight. Checked as far as I can follow the harness and no power, am I missing something? is there a seperate fuse for drl and left to right fuse.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts