SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 R-Design XC90. We are doing more road trips with the 3 kids in the XC90 and using the third row. I am considering a roof box / cargo box that is about 12 to 16 cubic feet, like the Thule Atlantis or Ascent boxes. I and am leaning towards the Volvo OEM Wing Load bars / silver cross bars rather than the traditional type of load carriers.

So I assume that I may be limited on the types of items I can put on the roof, but I am planning only on adding a regular width roof box. On the other hand, these seem superior to the traditional bar because they sit lower on the vehicle, are designed to be quieter, and can remain on the vehicle without adding to the profile.

Basically, any reason to not go with these bars and use a standard box, like a Thule Atlantis 1600 or Thule Ascent 1500/1600?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
i have the wing style loading bars, the XC90 looks really good with them. I have sears cargo box and put everything there too cause we are 4 but we like to have space on the trunk.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have OEM crossbars and a big Thule. They look good, adjust easy, and are plenty strong. Don't hesitate.

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went with the Thule Rapid Aero system and I love the way it looks and functions, it gives it the added Outdoor toughness look I like, not so "Soccer Mom." I also have a 2007 V8 Sport so it looks really good with the brushed steel. http://www.orsracksdirect.com/thule-400xtr-rapid-aero-complete-roof-racks.html
Do you mean the system for naked roofs? I have the side rails
http://www.orsracksdirect.com/thule-450r-rapid-crossroad-complete-car-roof-racks.html

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have OEM crossbars and a big Thule. They look good, adjust easy, and are plenty strong. Don't hesitate.
So what I was worried about is that the bars are 29 in wide (load width), while the Thule cargo boxes are wider than that: Atlantis 1600 is 36 in, Ascent 1500 is 33 in wide. I do not see the dimension for grip width.

·
Registered
203 Posts
No they also offer it for trucks with the side rails. Mine has the side rails, I can snap picture of it tonight and post what they look like. They offer a mount that works with the OEM volvo side rails. I bought the complete kit for $360 or so shipped. Well worth it and I havent seen much drop in MPG since rails are blades. Maybe .5mpg drop off.

The rails are also very quiet on the highway as compared to other Yakima systems I have used.

·
Registered
482 Posts
So what I was worried about is that the bars are 29 in wide (load width), while the Thule cargo boxes are wider than that: Atlantis 1600 is 36 in, Ascent 1500 is 33 in wide. I do not see the dimension for grip width.
My Thule is the Evolution. You're right, with the larger Thules you'll need to find grip width. ( etrailer.com might be able to tell you). Don't forget open rear hatch clearance.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I like the Volvo-designed load bars, I have hauled a LOT of building materials on them including as much as six sheets of drywall at a time (put down first on longitudinal 2x4s spanning front to back). They are neat and clean, and you can leave them on the car all the time without looking like you are going on a vacation camping trip. They do make some air noise but are probably designed for minimum turbulence compared to the stick built stuff you can get for a cheaper price.

Here is a 18-foot Mohawk canoe on our 2004, and they also fit the 2008 we have now. I'll bet there are some on ebay from time to time.

They are expensive but they are very nicely designed to fit with the car unlike anything else on the market.

regards,

P

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the all the advice. I ordered the OEM Wing load bars, as opposed to the Thule Aero bars, because of the lower profile. I measured it out at REI, and the Thule Atlantis looks like it will just fit on width.

In regards to how far apart to set the load bars, is wider better, or is there a certain distance that is ideal? I know that setting the box as far back as possible is more stable (as long as the tailgate is not obstructed). The cargo box can handle a range of distances, but there is not specific recommendation in the instructions from Thule or Volvo.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Somewhere I read (I think in the manual) that there is an optimal setting for wind noise. If you can install your box close to those settings then I would. Otherwise I would try to split the middle support of the rails.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Somewhere I read (I think in the manual) that there is an optimal setting for wind noise. If you can install your box close to those settings then I would. Otherwise I would try to split the middle support of the rails.
I think the XC90's look great with the OEM load bars. Like someone else said, it doesn't make it look like vacationing with the Griswalds. I noticed on my bars that if you leave the front bar directly behind the sun roof, I experience no wind noise at all. However, when you start putting them forward of the sun roof, you get a noticeable amount of wind noise.

I have mine setup with two Volvo OEM fork mount bike racks and I hear no noticeable wind noise, even at highway speeds. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
739 Posts
In regards to how far apart to set the load bars, is wider better, or is there a certain distance that is ideal? I know that setting the box as far back as possible is more stable (as long as the tailgate is not obstructed). The cargo box can handle a range of distances, but there is not specific recommendation in the instructions from Thule or Volvo.
Once you receive the cargo box, it'll help you figure it out with where the mounting brackets are.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I set the bars as far as possible to accommodate the Thule box (per Thule instructions) and Mounted the box as far back as possible, allowing for the rear hatch to open without restraint. Pretty easy, worked great for 780 miles at about 70-75 mph. Some more road noise, but more of a continuous hum not unlike the baseline wind noise when driving at highway speeds.

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts