SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I went the cheap/easy route and got a Curt trailer hitch with a wiring kit for my 2004 S60R. The hitch went in without a hitch (no pun intended) and the wiring harness is a powered 5 to 4 wire (technically a 3 to 2 wire) set up.

I connected it up properly (seeing as how I used to do stereo and trailer wiring installations for a living) but ended up using the scotchlok connectors on the wires (not my favorite, but also could see no reason not to, since I was heat wrapping them after install to keep the moisture out). The other option was to strip and solder, and I didn't see the need at the time.

Anyway, the trailer connector hooked up, got power everywhere, even plugged in my trailer and have the lights working correctly.

HERE IS THE ISSUE: I got the on-dash warning before I hooked up the trailer. No biggie I thought, since it is new and reading the loading differently, it will figure it out. Plugged the trailer in, turned everything on, and after I had the trailer working correctly (it had a blown bulb) then the warning went away. Seems like it was reading the bad bulb on the trailer even? wow) I then unhooked the car from the trailer, and still no warning.

TODAY, when I got in the car, I got the on-dash warning again. This time it didn't go away, even after several starts and stops and about 10 miles of driving.

So. Do I need to hook up to Vida/Dice and tell it that it is ok? If so where in the menus do I do this? Or have I messed something up with the loading on the wiring assemblies that is not fixable short of removing the unit until needed?

One other thing I did try already. Since this is a powered unit, I pulled the fuse on it to see if it made a difference. It did not. So that doesn't gain me anything. Would pulling the fuse AND the ground wire neutralize it or will it cause a backfeed somewhere and really screw things up?

Anyone with experience with this unit, please help?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Because I can.

OK, seriously, I go all over doing sword fighting, and the golf hard case I carry my stuff in doesn't fit in the car nicely. And I don't like the idea of lifting a 50# hard case up onto a roof rack. I have a small trailer (very small, like a motorcycle trailer, about the size of a turtle top) that we pulled behind my old 240 for years (a turbo-intercooled 240 to be exact) so it runs in the tradition to pull it behind the R.

Now if I could just find Z rated tires for the trailer, all would be perfect.

So never mind the why, just any ideas or suggestions as to the light issue.

Update: Some things about Volvo's just never change. I decided to go have another look at the tail lights (where I had been working yesterday) all were lit. Opened up the boot, pulled the light assemblies out (all lights were lit up) wiggled the bulbs in tightly, wiggled in the connections tightly and put it back together. AS IF BY MAGIC (ha!) the warning light went away. I had a 240 that wanted it's taillights played with about once every 3 or 4 months... I wouldn't think the S60 would be as needy, but who knows?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mine do it often too. I was thinking it was because of my subwoofers. But I'm hearing the s60 has slot of taillight issues.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
still getting the warning on and off... yesterday it came on and stayed on most of the day. tried banging around, even unplugged and replugged, no joy... may hook the Vida/Dice up and see if there is something to play with the sensitivity of the sensor.

NVRMND... did you know that if you have a bulb that is burned out, the warning light will come on and tell you that you have a burned out bulb?

I can't believe I missed it, but one of the tail light bulbs was dead... DOH!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I had the dealer put a Curt trailer hitch on my new S60T5 (part of the deal when I ordered it). I don't tow a lot but having the hitch adds a lot of flexibility.

1) My brother has a small utility trailer. Handy for moving firewood from our parents' house or riding mower to service center.
2) Bicycle rack. I don't have to lift them up on the roof and wind resistance should be less
3) Cargo carrier. Coolers and camping gear that won't fit in the trunk with the spare tire.

I actually ordered option "NA" but Volvo doesn't support factory-installed hitches for the S60 US market.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Well if you hadn't fixed your issue Pailsey Pirate, I'd of suggested you switch to knife fighting to reduce the size of your load. :)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well if you hadn't fixed your issue Pailsey Pirate, I'd of suggested you switch to knife fighting to reduce the size of your load. :)
My wife keeps saying "Darts" !!!! ;)

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
dapinkflamingo: mine is a 1.25" but I got a 1.25" to 2" adapter.

I'm limited to 350 pound ball weight and 3000 pound tow weight either way.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dapinkflamingo: mine is a 1.25" but I got a 1.25" to 2" adapter.

I'm limited to 350 pound ball weight and 3000 pound tow weight either way.

ditto.

Problem is definitely solved. It was a bulb issue. I don't know if moving everything around caused the failures, but it's all settled down and not been a problem.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Bumping this up. Any info on how you wired the harness up? I'm not too electrically savy, I'm more mechanical but I bought the curt hitch/harness package.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts