SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm considering changing the stock resonated midpipe on my 3.0 T6 with an aftermarket one but before making the purchase, I'm looking for a way to reuse the rusted flange on the downpipe.
As you can see in these pictures, the nuts are so rusted that they are rounded. I can cut them, that's not a problem.The issue is that 6 studs are press-fitted on the downpipe side of the flange.
Do you think it's possible to punch these studs out to replace them with bolts ?
With the downpipe in place, I think it would be difficult to have a strong enough hold on the flange to blow them with a hammer.

How would you do it ?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wondering why the pictures are shown with such a low resolution...

·
Registered
504 Posts
yes, pics are out of focus...I'm assuming that they are just pressed in studs and not welded. I'd use lots of heat/penetrant cycles ....and I'd use an air hammer with a punch tool first instead of a hammer. I'm also assuming that there is enough access to use the tool or a hammer. The problem then becomes one of bending the flange, so i'd try to use an oversized socket over the head of the stud, to push back on, as you're trying to remove the stud.
Another possibility may be to try and grind off the head of the stud and punch it through that way.
Also, are you sure you can't get that nut off? There are tool sets consisting of special sockets that bite into the rounded nut as you twist it off, once again, using multiple heat/penetrant cycles before trying to take off the nut.
There also may be enough room to use a nut splitter to split the nut and remove it, then clean up the threads..hopefully.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I had this issue with mine when I installed my KPAX exhaust. I ended up hammering 10mm socket onto the nuts ( broke away some rust), and replaced the nuts with new hardware with locking washers. The bolt threads were fine. But that's the reality of living in the Northeast.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.
Will try to split one of the nuts to have a look at the threads. Hopefully there's enough left:confused:

Otherwise, can't see how I could reach the upper studs to force them out...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.
Will try to split one of the nuts to have a look at the threads. Hopefully there's enough left:confused:

Otherwise, can't see how I could reach the upper studs to force them out...
I had to cut my old exhaust first in order to lower the front section in order to reach the top ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts