SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had the car for about 18 months now and during the past 3-4 months I've noticed new and obvious wooooshing at high speeds that was certainly not there when the car was first purchased. It's difficult to localize the sound, but my best guess seems to be the front edge of the driver's door, just at or above eye level. That's really just an estimate because I'm really not confident I can place it.

I looked around on here a bit and found some mention of Volvo windshield seals failing, but I've had no known leaks. I didn't see any other information about wind noise, so I wanted to ask a few questions and see what came back from my trusty Volvo brothers:

1. Anyone else had this issue pop up on their recent model S60s?

2. More generally, has anyone heard of anyone offering a service to detect and fix issues like this?

3. Finally - any creative ideas for pinpointing the cause of something like this? Best I have come up with so far is to jerk around with taping various seams to see how that changes the sounds, which sounds like a frustrating waste of time to me.​

As always, a giant bag of high fives to whoever can help.

- Chris​

·
Registered
369 Posts
Volvo just released TJ28994 regarding wind noise. Check it out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hate to be that guy.. and i found the part. but exactly is part TJ28994? It just says "Wind noise, front and rear door area"

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Many thanks for this. I paid the 6 bucks and read through this and it describes the installation of some foam tape within the door frames. So...when these documents are released by Volvo are they simply tips/suggestions for owners, or are they remedies that dealers will provide when problems are identified? Do I need to go figure what this tape is and then install it myself or. . . ? You can tell I'm new to this.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Technical Journals (also call Technical Service Bulletins, TSBs, by most manufactures)
are publications containing supplemental information published for dealers. They
are also commercially sold (by manufactures) and sites like alldatadiy.com (alldatadiy
does not have this most recent one, TJ28994, listed for my 2011). alldatadiy.com
lists over 150 for my 2011.

Some are classified as campaigns which I think might receive broader circulation
(best guess is customers are informed of 'campaigns').

You can typically find the title doing a google search but not the content.

They often have part numbers for tape, grease, etc. if it is something Volvo stocks

A few of the most recent I see at alldatadiy.com for my car:

TJ19674 01/14/2015 Steering and Suspension - Alignment Specifications
TJ25872 01/12/2015 Infotainment - Sensus ICM Display is Black, DTC CEM-U015600
TJ29264 01/12/2015 Interior - Center Console Creaking Noise
P89405 01/05/2015 Campaign - Paint Peeling off Radiator Grill Emblem
TJ17817 12/17/2014 A/C - Odors After Sitting and Start Up
TJ29705 12/16/2014 Body - Creaking Noise From Rear Door, B-Pillar
TJ27558 12/12/2014 A/C - Blower Motor Is Noisy Or Inoperative
P77-017 11/17/2014 Wheels and Tires - Wheel Cross Reference
TJ29751 11/17/2014 Cooling System - Coolant Discoloration
TJ29090 11/11/2014 Suspension - Clappering/Popping Noise From Rear Shock Absorber
TJ24584 10/28/2014 Lighting - UV Coating On Headlights Can Deteriorate Over Time
TJ27799 10/10/2014 Restraints - Squeak/Rattle From Steering Wheel Area
TJ20251 10/10/2014 Suspension - Knocking/Rumbling Noise From Rear Suspension
TJ27419 10/08/2014 Navigation - Map Update For Sensus Cars, New Part Number

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply, krn. I was able to purchase and download the bulletin myself from Volvo - just trying to verify that this is nothing more than a helpful suggestion from the company on how I might address this issue on my own. . . is that correct?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Very interesting and helpful info. Bookmarking this...

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
>> how I might address this issue on my own. . . is that correct?

Yes. The info is for the dealer but in the case where it is a simple fix you can
certainly try it yourself.

·
Registered
277 Posts
So when the dealer says they do all the software updates every time you bring it in for servicing, does it apply all the fixes in these journals? Or are they referring to something else?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

I made several test runs on the highway using masking tape to cover various portions of the seam between the door and car body, around the side mirror, and even the seam between the windshield and the A pillar. Nothing really helped, though one of my "configurations" seemed to noticeably reduce the noise. I'll be taking it into the dealer and asking them to perform the work in the notice that was mentioned earlier - disassembling all four doors and installing foam-backed tape to certain areas on the door frame. I'm pessimistic because it really seems the noise is coming from the upper part of the window area and not within the door itself...but maybe airflow is more complicated than I expect.

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Good luck, darwin034. As the owner of an '08 C30 I have become One With The Wind Noise...be it...:cool:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Does anyone have a link to the TSB explaining the specifics of the foam tape fix? Any pictures of the correct / incorrect seals? I've got a 2011 T6 and I have a ton of wind noise from the A and B pillars and I am very curious if I have or do not have the correct seals, and if the fix is an easy DIY.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Bump.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts