SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm a proud new(ish) owner of a Certified 2016 XC90 T6 Inscription and have recently been toying with the idea of having the factory 21" 8-spoke wheels powder coated semi-gloss black. I've always been quite fond of the white on black look and think that running black wheels would accent the tinted windows perfectly. As you might expect, I'm a bit hesitant to permanently alter these already gorgeous wheels so I was hoping someone might be able to photoshop the attached picture(s) to give me an idea on what it might look like first. Anyone out there willing to help a guy out?!

On a side note, I really have no interest in running aftermarket wheels as I much rather prefer the look of factory.

Thanks in advance!

PS - Sorry for the upside down photo. The original photo is right side up but for whatever reason, the uploaded photo is not.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And by day.

Super sharp, Jema! It appears that you went with a sort of charcoal black? I have also given some consideration to blacking out some of the chrome accents but may have just decided against it based on how clean yours looks without.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
You can have them painted professionally or powdercoated. If you go powder coated make sure it's using a low temperature technique b/c the higher temperatures may change the phase of the aluminum making it more brittle and increase the risk of wheel fracture.

I have had various wheels painted professionally in the past (non-Volvo) with good results. The downside is you have to leave your car on jackstands for a week or so while the job is done, unless you have an extra set you can swap on during the project.

·
Registered
895 Posts
All normally working. As far I can judge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That sounds great
I was asking what type of headlights are in Bahrain ?

In the US we don’t have these lights IMG_5100.jpg

Do you have them on your car ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice. In your experience, would you suggest painting over powdercoat or vice versa?

As of this morning, I found a set of lightly used 20" wheels with tires in good condition for $400. If I purchase them, I may choose to black them out and see how I like it before pulling the trigger on my 21s.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Thanks for the advice. In your experience, would you suggest painting over powdercoat or vice versa?

As of this morning, I found a set of lightly used 20" wheels with tires in good condition for $400. If I purchase them, I may choose to black them out and see how I like it before pulling the trigger on my 21s.
You can always plastidip and remove that once you change your mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts

Powder coating is more durable. I prefer it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 14 of 14 Posts