SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy,

I've been the happy owner of a 07 v70r for the last 5 years. At 80k now, I feel much longer boost lag, less power under boost and worst of all: it sounds like I have a squealing pig under the hood for the first three times I go to full throttle after starting the car--even if I only stopped driving for 20min. Almost like the turbo needs to clear its throat.

I heard the squeal and thought maybe plugs, so I replaced them: nothing. When I removed the plastic cover on the head, I saw oil swishing up there, quite a bit in one cylinder (on top of the spark plug). i tend to regularly spill when I change the oil, but this oil was dirty... So I suspected pcv system, and I opened the plastic again now a month later, but we no oil, so I think the oil last time was from spilling on oil change, not pcv.... I'm about to give up and take it to a shop, but before then: any ideas on what to look for?

P.S. The trouble only started recently, I had no issues in Los Angeles for 4 years and one year in Washington. I'm now in Utah where we saw 5+ days of 100+ degree weather a few times this summer, maybe an o ring died?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Squealing plus more lag/less boost sounds quite a bit like a boost leak. Ever heard of the soapy water test?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have, where should I run it? Do I need to pull the bumper?

P.S. Wife says is elks like coolant all the time, I did have to top off once 6 months ago and again 3 months ago but never overheated. No oil in coolant and looks like no coolant in the oil, at least from the dipstick.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
If its not the sound of a leak or bad belt tensioner pully or alternating bearing, sounds like your turbo is dying. Not sure why you thought your spark plugs would make a squealing noise . . .

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Sounds like cracked turbine/compressor housing. Or maybe exhaust manifold. After few pulls it gets warm enough and metal expands to close the crack.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have, where should I run it? Do I need to pull the bumper?

P.S. Wife says is elks like coolant all the time, I did have to top off once 6 months ago and again 3 months ago but never overheated. No oil in coolant and looks like no coolant in the oil, at least from the dipstick.
It's easy to remove the side panels of the console and check the heater core for leaks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keeps getting better, just realized she leaking a touch of oil at the bottom of the filter housing ��

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If its not the sound of a leak or bad belt tensioner pully or alternating bearing, sounds like your turbo is dying. Not sure why you thought your spark plugs would make a squealing noise . . .
Realized that I hadn't changed plugs since I bought it, thought could have something to do with the recent less thean stellar boost, made absolutely no difference, but the old plugs had become way spaced out with use (and unevenl across the 5 cylinders)

Once upon a time I raced boosted Hondas, the v70r was my foray into adult (stock) fun, yet my old nightmares have me fearing a cracked head.... Totally irrational (I hope!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts