SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coolant slowly disappearing from the expansion tank. Checked the usual spot for the radiator failure on the passenger side but it is all dry. Checked all of the hoses and connections. Expansion tank looks good too. Heater core connections inside the cabin are fine too. No excessive smoke from the tailpipe. No oil in the coolant. Had the car checked by mechanic who did the pressure test but was unable to find any external leaks.
At this point I fear that the leak is internal -coolant is either going into transmission or through a crack in the engine block. Should I go with oil/ATF analysis? Any advice on further troubleshooting? 125 000 miles. Car never overheated.

TIA

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
How often are you losing coolant? Iirc..the coolant reservoir on some early Rs were prone to leaks or cracks. Also, isn't there a coolant leak dye test?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Do the '04s have a tranny dip stick? If so, take a look and see if you have raspberry syrup colored fluid or raspberry milkshake colored fluid. On the 780, 1800 and 960 it's pretty easy to check the expansion or freeze plugs on the block. I'll have to look on the R to even see where they are, but eyeball those for dampness or rusty streaks. A slow leak into the cylinder heads may not really show up a white exhaust, so that kind of depends on what you definition of a 'slow disappearance from the expansion tank" is. Any way you look at it, I think a pressure test is in your future.

Chuck

·
Registered
785 Posts
My recommendation- take it to the dealer ASAP and bite the bullet and let them diagnose and repair it. It is not something you want to play around with on a High Pressure Turbo engine that will easily crack sleeves/blow a head gasket if overheated. I am dealing with a bypass in my head gasket (luckily seems to be only oil pushing into coolant) and my temperature gauge never ran hot - just a low coolant light. I knew I had been slowly loosing coolant and just kept topping it off until the light stayed on when I happened to be in the left lane in rush hour traffic and couldn't immediately get over.

The dealer diagnosed the leak as originating from the thermostat housing and replaced it. My R is no longer consuming coolant.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
04/05 5-speeds have dipsticks, 06/07 6-speeds don't.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Took the 960 in for a pressure test. I had inspected all the 'usual culprits' and couldn't see anything. Under pressure it became obvious the seals between the metal radiator body and the plastic tanks had started to deteriorate (heat, time, expansion and contraction). Could be this is what's going on for you.

Chuck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts