SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I have Michelin MXV4 Energy Plus 205/55R16s on Mimas rims on a 2002 S60 (with ~7000 miles). I got my tires rotated (yes, at the dealership), but they didn't rotate them to where I'd expected! (How do I know? I'm anal, so I wrote down the wheel weight amounts and each one's location with respect to the valve stem, just so I could make sure each wheel went to the right place.)

I didn't think these were directional tires (because they appear to be completely symmetrical from the inboard to outbard when you look at the treads), so I thought there was some criss-crossing when they rotated them. Backs go straight forward, and fronts go backward to the opposite sides, right?

They put the fronts both STRAIGHT back to the rears, no left-to-right criss-crossing. Weren't they supposed to put the fronts on the OPPOSITE rear side?!

Please help. I have to go back anyway for a part that's on order, so if this wasn't done properly, there's a chance I could get it fixed. Thanks in advance!

(P.S. For those of who who will say "Read the manual," I did, and didn't find any diagrams for "proper" tire rotation. There was nothing in my service/maintenance booklet, either.)

[Modified by Lisa62, 1:50 PM 10-10-2002]

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Help! Tire Rotation - Do fronts go STRAIGHT back, or CRISS CROSS? (mike_c70)

Thanks. That's a good page. If you look at the diagram right below the criss-cross one (which is what you do with yours), it shows the pattern that I just got as being "valid". (It says that fronts CAN go straght back and backs CAN go straight front.)

Anybody know if it's better to do it the criss-cross way for some reason, instead of the straight front and back?

(And by the way, I see that I had it backwards...the rears are the ones that criss-cross to the fronts, not the other way around, so in case any of you were going to set me straght, thanks, anyway! I now know I was wrong in that 1st post.)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Re: Help! Tire Rotation - Do fronts go STRAIGHT back, or CRISS CROSS? (mike_c70)

But if your tires are directional, you should rotate front to back and keep on the same side.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Help! Tire Rotation - Do fronts go STRAIGHT back, or CRISS CROSS? (Carl Sims)

Thanks, Carl. Yes, I know, and thanks for clarifying. But I don't think they are! They sure don't look it. My question is "CAN you tell by looking?" Or is there some other property inherent to the tire that makes it "directional"?

Nowhere on the tire does it say "directional". (I see traction info, wear ratings, max psi, and so forth, but nothing about being directional.)

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: Help! Tire Rotation - Do fronts go STRAIGHT back, or CRISS CROSS? (Lisa62)

Volvo recommends front to back.

Yannis

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: Help! Tire Rotation - Do fronts go STRAIGHT back, or CRISS CROSS? (GrecianVolvo)

Directional tires have an arrow showing the tire rotation direction.
Normally I would say front to back, no criss cross.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Help! Tire Rotation - Do fronts go STRAIGHT back, or CRISS CROSS? (Johann)

Yannis and Johann,
Thank you. I'm glad to know that that's what Volvo recommends.

Thanks, all of you, for the quick lesson, and also, your comments are all much appreciated! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by Lisa62, 4:10 PM 10-10-2002]

·
Registered
386 Posts

My nittos say left and right so for me front to back. I think directional tires would clearly state that.

~SpenceR~

·
Registered
6,888 Posts

I used to have directional tires (Sumitomos) but they wore out unevenly due to that front and back switch. I switched to regular tires now and do the criss-cross pattern to get a more even wear. Yes, you can always go straight front to back as well but unless your alignment is spoton you might eventually get uneven tire wear.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Good thing you don't have assymetrical directional tires on directional swept spoke wheels and wider rear tires! http://********************/smile/emsmileo.gif

Front to rear is usually a safe bet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts