SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the actual wastegate stock opening PSI. Like when it starts to move i guess.

I bought ipd's psi gauge but their charts says like 1.5 psi which isnt right because then I dont get any boost. I have it at 4.5 now but Im killing mpg so Id like to go back to stock please.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had mine a at 4.5 for a lil bit. Then changed it to 3.5 since the IPD vid said 1 or 2psi (1.8psi stock for my 855r) and its still alot better than stock. Plus mpgs went up.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
well 3psi or 2.5 might be better since yours is light boost pressure model, less than 10psi right?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
7:27min psi stock chart.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MK6V3G-yfh8

Based on this chart(pg.4, 2005 model yr) yours is a b5254t3. And the b5254t4 is the R so looking a the psi chart in the vid yours is 1.8psi stock.
http://www.ipdusa.com/files/product/318/VIN DECODER.PDF

so set to 3.5psi and see how it feels and how mpgs do.
1.8psi gives no boost at all. and 3 psi gives very little. I have it at 4 psi now and it seems ok.

Its just weird because at what ipd chart says 1.8psi it literally will not boost over 2 or 3 psi but at 5.5 psi it boosts just fine to 10psi, but with a caveat of bad mpg...like 16

·
Registered
66 Posts
well typically the max boost on stock is just for a sec or so. Ive got a stock tune still on my R and with my WG 2psi above stock(1.8psi) ill hit about 6 no prob but on a good stretch of highway i can get to 12ish for a sec. I'm planning on a ARD orange or green tune hopefully in the next couple of months, which from reading is getting great reviews.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well typically the max boost on stock is just for a sec or so. Ive got a stock tune still on my R and with my WG 2psi above stock(1.8psi) ill hit about 6 no prob but on a good stretch of highway i can get to 12ish for a sec. I'm planning on a ARD orange or green tune hopefully in the next couple of months, which from reading is getting great reviews.
I can maintian full 10 psi boost through all gears WOT from 0-60. I hit 12 during shift. If I go half throttle cruising around town and downshift its about half boost then flooring it instantly brings it to 10 again.

I guess I will play around with it until I hit the sweet spot of good mpg and responsiveness. Just takes a long time and work. Stop remove intake pipe and adjust then go out again.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Whats the stock boost on the s40 t5's, cuz i didnt think it was 12? Sounds like what i did played with it till responses was good and wasn't eating gas. Just make sure your not getting to much psi before 3k rpm stock internals don't like that. Another reason to get an ARD nice liner map, instead of the plateau effect.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I also bought the wastegate adjustment tool from iPd and had NO luck with it whatsoever. If anything, it made the adjustment even more inaccurate. I think they probably made that tool more for the S/V60R wastegate. I actually ended up adjusting mine by driving the car after each turn of the thimble.

Also, keep in mind that if you connect the wastegate tool to your tires and run Nitrogen in your tires, that will throw off the properties a bit and make it that much more inaccurate.

As for the stock wastegate setting, I believe it's 4 Psi.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
set it to 4.2 and it's gOod now. Made my own pump. Ipd was way off. I run air tires.

Btw after accidentally running at 5.5 psi for a month my cam seals went. And no it wasn't the PCV

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
66 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts