SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

Does anyone have any advice for someone who has never installed a car stereo before, and who knows very little about the subject? Here's what I want to do....

I have a 1988 245 that had a Kenwood radio in it at one point; that radio has been removed, and the factory wires were cut to do it.

I would like to put in a simple, bare-bones AM-FM cassette unit; I've been looking at a Dual brand XC-4100 unit, 30 watts (15w per channel). I want to use the factory door speakers if at all possible. I already know I'll need an installation kit from Metra to mount the thing in the dash.

I have no idea if a factory pre-amp is in place, or where it would be, or if it has been bypassed. I do not know what the wiring colours on the cut wires represent. I also have no idea if the 30-watt Dual unit is sufficient to drive the factory speakers, or if it would overload them, or what.

Does anyone have any advice for the complete novice at this? I'm not interested in fantastic sound quality (just need traffic reports and the odd bit of taped music), and I do not want to spend any more money than need be on the project- OEM sound quality is fine with me. If anyone could help, I'd be grateful.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Help! Sound Systems for Dummies? (danemodsandy)

Hello, again, Sandy.

You could junk-yard a complete original system from a 240 that has not been open to the elements. If the salvage place allows, pull everything yourself including all wires, junctions, connectors, etc. This would give you a good idea of what is ahead for the install in your Volvo.

Another option is to go online to reputable electronics vendor sites and click on their install instructions for various model/makes.

If not already, try posting this at

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zeroforum?id=22

George Dill

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Help! Sound Systems for Dummies? (gdill2)

Herrow, Reorge!

Been away for a while- major work project. Good to be back.

I'll check some installer sites, I guess. I've already been the used-radio route, and found:

Working CR-712's with the code AND an unbroken face plate are hard to come by. I found a radio with a code, but that face plate nearly always gets broken when the radio is removed; it doesn't come off like people think it does.

My wiring has been cut, so I have less than no idea what goes where. I did check the other forum you linked me to, and there just isn't a whole lot about 240's there; most of the posts there are for later models, and for newer tech like Sirius, Bluetooth, and GPS. I'm barely out of the 8-track era, LOL!

Modified by danemodsandy at 12:54 PM 5-13-2006

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.