SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 01 S60 has been so trouble free I have to say I'm in shock, LOL. When she drove to work this morning the blower motor started up for the first two or three minutes of her drive to work and then ceased to function. The car only has the base level two zone heater, it doesn't have digital climate control. I need to drive this car five or six hours to NY at the end of the week with my 15 month old son in the car and my V70 is definately not up to the drive. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
If it wasn't making noise before it crapped out, then I'd put my money on the blower motor resistor pack. Part costs like $110ish. You must remove and disassembe the blower motor assy to replace it. If you comfy doing this then go for it, otherwise the money to a mechanic will be well spent on your sanity. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! That was my guess, but quite honestly I'm not all that familiar with these cars even though I own two. They all seem to be about $100 online, gonna see what I can do locally. Feel like I'm on a roll, I just had to tak the blower motor out of my mothers Subaru a couple weeks ago...

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Cool.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After searching the net for possible solutions, I tried disconnecting the battery to no avail. Time to track down a resistor locally(?!).

·
Registered
408 Posts
Any chance you could a brief write-up? Or any tips? I have to do this and haven't found much guidance on the web.... Am trying to avoid taking to the mechanic since I think I'd be comfortable doing it myself with some directions. TIA

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just removed the blower in my S60 last week to relube it (squeaked for first 30 seconds when cold). Not too hard but it is a tight fit. Let me know if you need more help and I can post the steps that I took to remove it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
That'd be great - sorry for the long delay in response - was in China for business and am just now getting settled back in and able to work on a project like this.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ok. Move the pass seat all the way back to allow more room. Take a dime to the console trim piece on the passenger side (just below the gear shift) and turn 180 degrees ( I think it only goes one way).

Now that it is loose, use a T-20 (torx) and a stubby bit driver and loosen the four screws holding in the passenger footwell trim piece off (under and farther forward than the glove box.). Remove this piece carefully from the pass doorframe and the center console trim that you previously loosened.

You can remove the glovebox at this time using a bit extension and a T-25? for the 8 screws or so that are holding the face to the dash. After loosening those screws, remove the dash cover plate located on the dash near the door hinge. You will need to reach your hand in there are remove the return control arm that is part of the glove box. Be careful not to break it.

Once that is off, release the holding tabs that keep the glovebox up and carefully remove the screws that are around the face of the box. It will drop right out.

Now that is is out, you will see some wiring harnesses and lighting. Remove the glove box light wiring from it's plug. The other harness will need to be disconnected from the blower motor, but I think that you can do that after removing the mounting screws below...

To get to the blower motor mounting screws, you will need to pull the carpet back and hopefully tuck it under the passenger seat. It doesn't bend well, but it is possible. Be careful that the trim is removed enough to pull it back.

Now time to crawl under the dash. Very awkward space. You will need a light to locate the t-25 screws holding the blower assembly to the CC chamber (white thing). There are 4-5 screws that you will need to locate spaced around the motor, including all the way against the floor towards the front of the vehicle. I used a flexible bit driver to reach the screws. A stubby might work as well.

Loosen and remove the small bolts and drop the unit down. Note the direction that the unit is in to make installation easier. You will have to twist the unit in different positions and angles to get the thing to drop all the way down. Don't twist too hard as the wiring harness may still be connected. I was pretty brutal on mine with no bad results.

Drop the motor the rest of the way and squeeze the top of the black plastic cover in the clipped areas to remove the top. This should give you access to the spindle, fan blades and resistor pack screws (I think there are 2 mounted from the top. You will need a skinny extension to get to them).

Installation is the reverse of removal.

Hope that helps! I will try to post some VADIS pics when I get in front of that computer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts