SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hearing some rattles on the overhead and think they are coming from behind the overhead console where the interior light, sunroof switch, etc. are located. I've spent the last 2 and 1/2 hrs searching for instructions on how to remove the overhead but either my Google-fu is weak or I did not have the correct search terms.

Could someone who knows how to remove this piece please kindly share the instructions or point me to a thread where it shows how to remove it?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
653 Posts
I presume you are under warranty. I’d take it to the dealer and let them figure it out. That way if something breaks, it’s on them, not you.

·
Registered
117 Posts
That assumes that OP hasn’t, or that dealer will fix it, though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would be interested in any info on the headliner/ sunroof, as well. Mine has been in over 14 times for roof- related problems, the rear glass has been replaced, the sunshade twice, the “frame” and now the headliner is warped and rattles in two different places. (I’m guessing it wasn’t made to be taken down that many times) Dealer made a big flourish last time; they had it for a week to fix a bunch of stuff including the headliner rattles/ warped situation, and once again, it wasn’t fixed. Doesn’t seem like it should be that difficult, but Volvo won’t do anything, apparently. Going to trade it off, but not really in the cards right this minute, and the rattles are driving me kinda nuts.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Any idea where I could look at a schematic for the cassette? I found some screws in the cargo area that I’d like to rule out as missing (and possibly causing some of these rattles)

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
It's probably on one of the parts websites but I'm not sure how much help it will be. Try volvopartswebstore.com
If you post pictures of the screws I might be able to identify them. I've had a few cassettes out and dozens of headliners down.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you post pictures of the screws I might be able to identify them. I've had a few cassettes out and dozens of headliners down.
Well, since you offered
I found three of these in the back. T20, and this is standard rule paper, so like 3/4 inch long. I assume that they were replaced with matching hardware when they didn’t have enough screws to complete the job, but I don’t know what to trust anymore.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I believe those are what hold the roller blind (sun shade) to the sunroof cassette. The new one comes with new screws if I remember correctly, so someone was probably just sloppy and left them in the car. They are definitely not used for the headliner or anything that is removed to drop the headliner.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So I finally had a chance to remove the overhead console this afternoon. It turned out that there was an adhesive pad that covers some wires (near the drivers's side sun visor) got loose so it made the noises when driving on rough roads. I pushed it down to make sure it sticks to the headliner and stuffed a rolled-up sheet of felt fabric that I got from Hobby Lobby between it and the headliner (to add more cushion). The noise is completely gone now. Extremely happy!

It was pretty easy to remove it. I used a thin plastic panel remover and inserted it along the areas pointed to by the red arrows in the 1st photo and it came loose right away. To re-install, just push it up and it will snap into place.

The areas circled in Red are where the console snaps into the hooks on the cassette in the roof.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Can anyone else not see the above pics? Anyway to repost the pics so we can see them again. I’m having this exact issue and was hoping to pull the map/light piece down but would love a picture or 2 first showing where the clips are.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can anyone else not see the above pics? Anyway to repost the pics so we can see them again. I’m having this exact issue and was hoping to pull the map/light piece down but would love a picture or 2 first showing where the clips are.
When you remove the overhead cassette, right above the sun visor on the driver's side, there are a couple of wires running between the headliner and roof. Insert a sheet of felt liner between these wires and the metal roof (or wrap the felt around the wires) to insulate the noise.

·
Registered
80 Posts
When you remove the overhead cassette, right above the sun visor on the driver's side, there are a couple of wires running between the headliner and roof. Insert a sheet of felt liner between these wires and the metal roof (or wrap the felt around the wires) to insulate the noise.
Thank you!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts