SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new here and this is my first post, and I'm now on my second V50 2.4i. Some might question why on earth anyone would get a second one, but that's a story for another thread (nope, first one was neither wrecked not stolen).

My first V50 had under 60k miles when we parted. Engine performance was satisfactory - acceleration wasn't blistering, but brisk. Toward the end, the brakes started getting soggy and I was also getting feedback in the pedal that felt like rotor warp. And yes, the PCV whine.

Now on my second V50 which I've just taken ownership of, this has 100k miles on the clock and here's the fault list:
1. Front shocks are shot
2. Possibly one or more of the arms in the front are worn (occasional clunk when parking)
3. Faint static buzz from below the gear selector lever (comes on when the key is put in 'II' position and stays for about half a minute or so after the ignition is switched off)
4. Stereo lags compared with the previous V50 (sound output lags up to a second after selecting a preset station)
5. Gas pedal feels stiffer, car feels heavier, throttle feels less sharp, and acceleration feels more sluggish - compared with the previous V50

The fixes for #1 and #2 are easy, #3 shouldn't be to hard to pin down since the source is quite apparent, and I can live with #4, but I'm clueless on #5 and am hoping some of the mechanically inclined folk here might be able to save me some time getting the car back up to speed.

The previous car was on 17" x 7" Styx wheels wearing 205/50s and the current car is on 17" x 7" Zaurak wheels wearing 215/45s. While the steering on the current car is heavier than the previous car, I doubt this is significant enough to cause the experience I'm having with the weaker performance. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Same model year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both manufactured in 2006. The previous one would have been a 2006 MY for sure, but the current one could be a 2007 MY.

After driving for a week now, I notice that the autobox seems to shift up at the soonest opportunity when on light throttle (shifts up under 2k), but the same cannot be same about shifting down. Crusing at 60mph in 5th, when I floor the gas, there's a bit of a lag before it shifts down to 4th, and it just isn't as free-revving as the previous car. Could the autobox be the cause? I'm going to change fluid to see if it helps.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I would give it a thorough stage zero rehab at that mileage. Fresh tranny fluid, air filter, etc... get her refreshed as best you can and then make some more comparison. The transmission does learn driving habits over time, if the previous owners drove like a granny it will upshift as soon as it can. You may look into a reset for the ECM or TCU (I can't really speak much to how to do that though as I don't have an automatic).

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
would check engine-transmission mount and replace with ford e-focus one if worn. that may help #5.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks TurbineWagon and jschinito for your suggestions.

Checked the car into the workshop this morning for an oil service, putting the tranny fluid replacement on hold for now. Mechanic checked for codes but it was clean and while at it also reset the ECU. The mounts were still ok. I'm driving the car harder now, going full throttle when traffic conditions permit, in a bid to get the slushbox to hopefully become sharper.

I had the shocks replaced at the same time with Monroe Reflex I bought from a stockist. BIG MISTAKE! I am very disappointed with them - they crash when you cross a speed bump with just a little more momentum than crawling speed (I slow down for speed bumps), and ride quality is worse. I had asked to buy parts 72316 (front left), 72315 (front right) and 5617 (rears) from the OE Spectrum series but the stockist only had Reflex - parts E4642 (front set) and E1342 (rear set).

I am not sure if the OE Spectrum would be any better, but the Reflex are absolute rubbish. I read comments that Monroes were comfortable as an alternative to OEM, but suffered shorter lifespans, which didn't bother me as I would be doing at most another 20,000 miles on this car before I move to another, so I just bought them when the price sounded very reasonable - about US$250. I was told OEMs (Sachs?) would have cost me 2-1/2 times that, but I would have gladly paid the premium.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I always recommend KYB shocks and struts, good quality parts at a pretty reasonable price. Either their Excel-G or GR-2 have been good in my experience with multiple vehicles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts