SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the Haynes Manual it shows that you can make a valve cover tool by breaking out the porcelain and removing the porcelain and electrodes out of old spark plugs and then inserting some all thread rod in the metal spark plug shell. I am struggling trying to figure out a way to remove the porcelain and electrode from inside the metal spark plug shell. The electrode is some type of metal that does not drill well and the porcelain does not chip or break easily inside the metal shell. Has anyone done this or have any suggestions? I tried heating it up and throwing in tub of cool water to shock it and no luck, also tried beating on electrode in a vice with a punch and no luck.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Is it not possible to get allthread that matches the spark plug thread? Why not just do that?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Wrap the plugs in a rag and hit them with a hammer on a hard surface (vise or ground). The porcelain will shatter easily. Careful it is super sharp. As for the rest of the procedure...sounds fishy.

·
Registered
16,965 Posts
dont need it , the valve cover will not fly off . <p>if anything it takes a good bit of effort to get the stinking thing off . <p>what you want to do is leave 4 screws in almsot the whole way out and pop up the cover slowly . <p>

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Help on making valve cover hold down tool (oregonxc)

I wanted the tool to install the valve cover, I didn't have any problem removing the valve cover but am concerned about re-installing with out a tool to clamp it down evenly like shown in Haynes manual.

·
Registered
16,965 Posts
ehh waste of time just go slow with putting in the screws and dont go crazy and you will be fine. <p><<<< did 4 this year lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Help on making valve cover hold down tool (oregonxc)

Got it, will give it a try just slowly tightening down each bolt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts